Re: Rapsberri and APRS Setup Question

Rob McPeak <rob@...>

Andy -

I took a quick look through the menus for YAAC, and didn’t see a way to change the colors.  However, for me, things are easy to see - with the possible exception of the actual shoreline (cyan on a green background).  Here’s what it looks like for me:

For what it’s worth, I see the same behavior with the topo information taking a while to load when you change the center point or zoom level.

73,
Rob, KG7HIZ

On Apr 28, 2014, at 2:03 PM, Andy McMullin <andy@...> wrote:

Rob,

Thanks for that idea.

Downloading then turning on the topographic now shows the difference between land and sea (although the line around the coast doesn't match the shading of the land).

The bad news is that the local roads have now all disappeared! I guess the colour schemes don't match too well. And if I move the centre of attraction around (drag the map) it takes some time for the topo shading of land/sea to reappear.

However, it's a step in the right direction. At least I can see the difference between the wet stuff and the dry stuff now :-)

--
Regards
Andy, G8TQH

On 27 Apr 2014, at 16:43, Rob McPeak <rob@...> wrote:

Try loading the topographical data. In my area, which has a lot of complicated shoreline, it made a huge difference. I think I may have had to restart the app after loading the topo data for it to display.

Rob

On Apr 27, 2014, at 7:08 AM, Andy McMullin <andy@...> wrote:

Other than my mapping problem, I also think it's definitely on the right lines.

I think the use of java giving easy install and multiple operating systems is a great idea. The wizard configuration to set it up is good too. I also loved the way it just worked with both my TNC and aprs-is without any messing around. When I tried it, messaging worked well as did query.

My map issue is probably related to the sea not being coloured but rather having the same colour as the generic map background. The same maps displayed (from online sources rather than precompiled) in SARTrack and AGWTracker look just fine. I'd like to be able to delete all the objects in one go -- so as to remove them from my map -- but that's a local problem related to the transmission of "duff" objects around here. I also like to be able to get more information about a source (station or object) by clicking on it or something rather than opening the station list and hunting for it. And I don't understand why it downloads 638 fonts every time I start it (according to the preferences tab)!

But it's still a beta and being improved on a regular basis! So all these things will come if people ask for them. It's definitely a product to use if you can.

--
Regards
Andy, G8TQH