Re: X Forwarding

Not sure I'm following your description.  Exporting X-Windows from the Pi to another computer running the X-Windows server works fine, I'v done it from Windows using XMing and putty, from Ubuntu running X-Window Server, and from my Mac (just now, over the Internet).

Let's assume your pi is named 'pi' and from the Ubuntu computer you would type into, a terminal window:

ssh -X pi@pi

Give your pi password and you should be in a shell.

At this point

lxterminal &

and you should have a terminal pop up.

You might have to use the IP address if your X Window Server computer doesn't know about the dns name of the pi -- e.g.:

ssh -X pi@....5

Other than that, look at your logs.

John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Richard Mark <rickwz8n@...> wrote:

I have tried to implement X Forwarding on the PI.  I checked the sshd_config file to make sure that X11Forwarding was set to YES and then logged in ssh -X pi@hamradiocomputer.  The hamradiocomputer is running Ubuntu and I am logged in to the PI over ssh and all is working well there.  Then I typed the name of a simple GUI based program, putty.  After a long pause I received the message: (putty:1522): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display

Can anyone point me down the correct path?

                       Rick
                       WZ8N