Re: Some progress

John G8BPQ

John,

The default user/password for the standard PI distributions (wheezy and raspbian) are pi/raspberry. You can’t log in as root, unless you set a root password, via sudo passwd. Sudo doesn’t need a password.

The SD card has a small boot partition, formatted as a FAT partition, so can be seen by windows. The rest is ext4, which windows can’t see, So a freshly loaded image appears to windows as around 55 MB. When first booted, it will only use the first 2 GB. The first time you log in it should run a utility raspi-config, which allows you to resize the root partition to fill the card.

My main interest is in using the pi as a packet node. The prototype TNC is shown on the front page of this group. This is a standard TNC-X, with a bit of stripboard superglued to the edge to carry a 26 way connector. I’ve designed a board with the connector on board, and the same size as the pi. I’m waiting for the boards to come back from the PCB factory. The board is stackable, so more than one TNC can be connected, and uses the i2c bus to communicate with the pi.

From another John in Nottingham,

73, John G8BPQ

From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@... [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...] On Behalf Of J FLETCHER
Sent: 24 August 2012 07:57
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Some progress

Hi again,

Having somehow locked myself out of the second OS installation (it's demanding a password, which I didn't set) I decided to format the 8Gb card and reinstall the OS. My laptop now reports that it's a 55.8Mb card. Any suggestions?

My box of bits arrived yesterday. The HDMI-to-VGA converter works a treat. I can read all the text on the computer's monitor (when it's not moving too quickly) and have a full view of the games screens.

The 26-way connectors and cable arrived too, so I can start making leads for the P1 GPIO header. First job; flash an LED. Second job; flash it in Morse!

John

Join RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.