Re: Raspberry Pi/What OS To Use

If you are doing a native Linux desktop on a PC, try Ubuntu.http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop -- its a derivative of Debian but much better developed for the desktop user.

If you are running Windows on a PC, try xrdp  (apt-get install xrdp) and use Window's remote desktop. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/connect-to-another-computer-using-remote-desktop-connection

John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 5:41 PM, John Ferrell <jferrell13@...> wrote:

Thanks, I thought that was the way things were working. I have problems enough staying on the Linux side of things.  Bringing up Wheezy with an xfce  desktop on an ordinary PC  has not proven to be a simple task!

On 6/16/2013 8:16 PM, John D. Hays wrote:
In runs the code built from Linux sources (mostly 'C') compiled for ARM processor.   You simply load the images from the download site and run from them, you don't need to worry about the language or processor language.  If you want to compile your own programs a large number of languages are available, e.g.  C/C++, Python, Pascal, Fortran, Cobol, Lisp, Assembly, Ruby, PHP, ...  all of which will run under Linux on ARM.

John D. Hays
K7VE

--
John Ferrell W8CCW
"The pessimist complains about the wind;