John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Max Harper <kg4pid@...> wrote:

John, you said "Most people use Raspbian or Wheezy from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads" I don't understand the Raspbian or Wheezy as I thought it was just Raspbian Wheezy. You make it sound as though it is two different OSs but I only see "Raspbian Wheezy" as a download. This a been an area of confusion as I have seen it printed like this before. So which is it?

A. Raspbian
B. Wheezy
C. Raspbian Wheezy

From: John D. Hays <john@...>
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2013 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Raspberry Pi/What OS To Use

The software is pretty agnostic about Linux distribution.  Most people use Raspbian or Wheezy from  http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

The group can also answer questions about using the software on the Pi.  A common platform.  For WiFi, look at Ralink RT5370 based dongles, such as http://www.amazon.com/802-11n-150m-Wireless-Network-Adapter/dp/tech-data/B007BWFXYS

John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 6:37 PM, John <n0meq@...> wrote:

I have a DVap and want to use a Raspberry pi. I want to use it as a portable unit. At home it would be connected via Ethernet to a router, I was also thinking wifi on the Pi as well. This might be a large open question for debate but what would be the best OS to use? I have seen many using raspbian Wheezy. I have also seen preloaded sd cards.... Any suggestions would be helpful!

John
N0MEQ