Re: DVAP and the DVRPTR boards

Not one of these has a vocoder (AMBE) to do the gateway/hotspot function and all can run using open source.

Sent from Samsung tablet

Dave B <dave@...> wrote:

On 6 Jun 2013 at 8:57, Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@... wrote:

> Re: DVAP and the DVRPTR boards
> Posted by: "John D. Hays" john@... k7ve
> Date: Wed Jun 5, 2013 4:36 pm ((PDT))
>
> DVAP - small "Dongle" type 2m or 70cm radio that you plug into a
> computer, it transmits at about 10mw and is the popular choice for "in
> house" access to the D-STAR digital voice network.
> http://www.dvapdongle.com/DV_Access_Point_Dongle/Home.html
>
> DVRPTR V1 - A GMSK modem based on DSP that goes between a computer,
> attached by USB, and an existing 2-way radio (9600 bps packet ready)
> to give access to the D-STAR digital vocie network -
> http://www.dvrptr.net/
>
> STARBoard - A GMSK modem based on a dedicated modem chip that goes
> between a computer, attached by USB, and an existing 2-way radio (9600
> bps packet ready) to give access to the D-STAR digital vocie network
> - http://moencomm.com/
>
> UDR56k-4 - A new digital radio, 70cm/25 watts, built in DSP modems for
> D-STAR Digital Voice, D-STAR Digital Data (56kbps+ Ethernet over
> radio), packet radio from 9600 bps - 56kbps +, and more. Built in
> computer to run the DSP modems, protocol stacks, and applications on a
> Linux operating system (Debian / ARM). Open source for experimenters.
> Gateway or end user radio. http://nwdigitalradio.com (Discount on
> pre-orders until the 15th).
> [I am a member of the team creating this radio.]
>
> ------------------------------
> John D. Hays
> K7VE
> PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
> <http://k7ve.org/blog> <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>
> <http://www.facebook.com/john.d.hays>

Remember that those things are anything but low cost, closed source, and
your not even legally permitted to reverse engineer the protocol! (Not
that it stops some...)

Not great for "Amateur" radio, turning us into "appliance users" nothing
else.

There are better and truly "open" audio codec's about, FreeDV being one.
http://freedv.org/tiki-index.php

Scroll down to the Links seciton, for a lot more info.

73.

Dave G0WBX.