Re: NEWBIE: FROM SW MIAMI, FL LOOKING FOR MENTOR.

Creating a simplex access point (hotspot) or repeater, doesn't require the AMBE chip  at all.  Only end user radios do.  If you are building from scratch the AMBE-2020 chip is less than $30. (Using the new AMBE-3000 chip in new designs gives more flexibility for non-DSTAR protocols.)

John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM, John Ferrell <jferrell13@...> wrote:

So far I have resisted the D-STAR project. I think the requisite hardware-codecs are too expensive. I do support the local clubs use of our UHF repeater for D-Star. We recently had a power outage that was way too far down the priority list for our UPS system to handle. A Pi could have remained live via UPS & Internet to manage the complex remotely.