Re: [EXTERNAL] [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] TNC-Pi Now Available

It is pointless to compare Wi-Fi with the VHFUHF packet radio.  They are not interchangeable.   While they may serve similar duties, they have different interfaces, different radio bands, different intrinsic behaviors.  One is better with mountains and towers, the other suffices when there are no mountains.   VHFUHF packet allows us to build peer to peer systems with no commercial sites, even here in the flat forests.

We have had discussions about the hats, but the TARPN organization is building multi port nodes and the whole hat utility kind of wasn’t there once more than one TNC was present.

The pigatecase people have NinoTNCs and have made a case that stacks the NinoTNC and Raspberry PI.

Tadd - KA2DEW

On Oct 19, 2020, at 7:41 PM, Chuck K4RGN <K4rgn@...> wrote:

I think most of us are delighted that the NinoTNC is USB. It allows more flexible cabinetry, the USB has less susceptibility to RFI than an i2c ribbon cable, and the NinoTNC can be connected to a Windows/Mac/Linux box if the need arises. Good-bye to i2c.

The only issue with NinoTNC USB into the Pi is keeping the ttyACMx assignments consistent if you have multiple NinoTNCs in use. But in my experience this is a minor objection. I have 3 NinoTNCs on my Pi.

73 Chuck K4RGN