Re: Configuring W3DJS V1.0 Direwolf questions.

David Ranch

Hello Dennis,

My latest progress on this Direwolf adventure: David, when I looked at your options I realized that maybe there was a 4th one. The FT-8** transceivers do have bit rates that can be adjusted to other than the default 4800 bps. I tried a few others and found that 38400 works with Direwolf! As soon as I hit that bit rate, the transmitter went into action.

Interesting.. so Direwolf is attempting to communicate to the radio at a default of 38400.  While I whole heartly recommend higher speeds like this for snappy rig control, 4800bps is usually the default on many radios.  At minimum, I feel Direwolf should output what speed it's trying to do CAT PTT control at.  On the longer term, this and other parameters needs to be configurable.

I've created an issue to track this:  https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/issues/290

Oddly, I couldn't receive a thing on the APRS frequency of 144.390 Mhz. It seemed to stop working when the transmitter started working. In the end, it was nothing to do with the Direwolf and more to do with hurricane Laura going by the region. The winds had knocked over my two meter antenna on the roof and grounded it. I couldn't see it until I went up there.

Ok.. that was problem #2 to solve and you've already fixed that.  Good.

At present am seeing my beacon on APRS.fi so, at long last, there is some progress. Now I have to study up on how all this APRS stuff works, I know almost nothing about it at this point. At least I am not seeing any red messages in Direwolf and am seeing lots of traffic.

https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=13&lat=27.2580&lng=-82.5063&timerange=3600&tail=3600

Ok.. good.

Thanks for all the help, sorry I was such a dummy. The Direwolf manual is a daunting piece of work and I have much studying to do.

No doubt there is a log of material in the Direwolf UserGuide and the other great documentation found in:

   https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/tree/dev/doc

If you're looking for an APRS Beginner's Guide, I host a copy of K9DCI's excellent guide here:

   http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/Aprs/APRS%20Beginner%20Guide%20-%20K9DCI%20Ver%205-1.pdf