locked Re: HamPi on a 128GB SD-Card

N5XMT

I have also been in IT for 30 years.  and I have seen cases where a disk image could NOT be written due to some unforseen corruption on a factory fresh disk/memory card etc.  The OS does look at the device and if it cannot properly address it when brought online, it blocks access to the device by other programs, including under linux, dd.  in every case except a few where the corruption was permanent/physical, a quick fdisk/format of the device cleared the issue and allowed the imaging to proceed

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 7:23 AM Jeff Palmer via groups.io <jeff=palmerit.net@groups.io> wrote:
OK,  Now I am trying to argue.

There are absolutes in this field.   Disk images ARE absolute.
writing them to a disk IS absolute.  It overwrites *everything* that
holds any old layout.  That is simply a fact.  Your observations,
while relevant, are not *accurate*.  There is a significant
difference.  correlation does NOT equal causation.

30 years as a unix admin, dealing with disk images.. I'm fairly
confident that I have "enough experience" to have learned what a disk
image is, does, and doesn't do.

One time, I bought new shoes.   I immediately stubbed my toe while
wearing them.  Correlation:  new shoes = stubbed toes.   Causation:  I
wasn't actually paying attention, and kicked something by accident.
Facts are facts man. properly formatted and written disk images work
100% of the time.  IF it doesn't, as I mentioned in the last email,
something else was the cause.  Period.

--
Jeff Palmer
Palmer IT Consulting, LLC.