locked Re: HamPi on a 128GB SD-Card

Mark Griffith

The existence of a partition or filesystem on an SD card *should not* make any difference when writing an image, but it sometimes does.  That's why I say NOT to format the card before copying the image.  In most cases, I would say it doesn't make a difference, but I have seen some where it has.

Also, I'm hoping all those that are using a giant SD card for the image know to use raspi-config to then expand the filesystem so all of the big SD card is used.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 7:32:23 AM CDT, Jeff Palmer via groups.io <jeff@...> wrote:

Interesting.

Since etcher is writing a raw disk image, the existing filesystems,
partitions, or layouts shouldn't matter (or affect writing the image)

For what it's worth, I have HamPi running on a 128gb sd card.  I used
etcher, and never had an issue.  I hope that helps.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 1:16 AM thegadget techie <gadgetechie@...> wrote:
>
> I did pick up a couple of SanDisk xPros.  Seemed the issue may have been the factory format - I zapped the 2nd on w/ xFat (not FAT32) and no hitch w/ Etcher.  So maybe that's the issue. Also on MacPro (yeah yeah I'm 25+ yrs *nix guy).  I dd'd the 1st SDCard (wiped block 0 & 100) and the PI imager did all the magic - so long story short - not really sure of the issue - but both 128Gb's running like a charm.  Now onto USB boot on Pi4....
>
> Thanks all for replies.
>
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 5:50 AM John Nicholas <stnick@...> wrote:
>>
>> Ditto on San Disc.  I found that out with discs from my Infrared Imager at work.
>>
>> JN
>>
>> On Jul 5, 2020, at 3:24 AM, Roger Reeves M0ROJ <m0roj@...> wrote:
>>
>> It’s all down to the quality of the SD card. A recommendation is the SanDisk Extreme Pro, whatever the size.
>>
>> Roger M0ROJ
>>
>>
>

--
Jeff Palmer
Palmer IT Consulting, LLC.
https://PalmerIT.net

Join RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.