Re: PiTNC9k6 and BTECH UV25X4 mobile

Kevin k5vp

I don't know Mark.  But, I think he's trying to say the Baofeng is built to pass voice traffic.  It may not be the best candidate to pass data (square wave) audio.

At some point, swapfests will open & there should be used radios available a lot less than the price range you have mentioned.  Example?  I picked up an FT-8800 for $200.  It is built to handle packet.

k5vp

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 6:41 PM N5XMT <dacooley@...> wrote:
maybe the people that bash the inexpensive radios should buy me one then.  Not all of us have 400-500 buchs to throw into a rig.
How about a little less self rightousness?

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 6:32 PM Mark Griffith via groups.io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I can't count the number of people that have contacted me about packet problems only to find out they are using a Baofeng radio.  These are just not good radios for digital modes.  If you want something that works reliably, get a better radio, or you can continue to be frustrated.

My 2 cents.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020, 8:24:52 PM CDT, N5XMT <dacooley@...> wrote:

There are 6 winlink nodes listed within 10 miles of me, the closest 2 are only 2 miles away.  I have been monitoring the freq's most of the day and attempted connection to all of them.  I have heard 0 traffic all day on any of them.  so no connection.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:49 PM Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Is there a Winlink node in your area?  Do you have access to a Windows computer?

Mat

Kevin Potter
k5vp