Re: 8Gb RPI4 info...

Dave Wade

Lawrence,

Excuse the rant that follows….

The remark was merely to disarm the “well Linux is faster” brigade, who insist its mana from heaven, yet every time I try it and then attempt to install some (simple) software I fall down some hell hole of library clashes.

The latest battle was with “cmake” which is also supposed to be the “42” of makes, yet trying to get a recent version of it onto my lubuntu box makes the 12 labors of Hercules seem like a gentle Sunday stroll, and the conjugation of Spanish verbs straight forward.

I ended up manually copying the binaries into /usr/local/bin. Folks tell me this may make future updating “hard” but seeing as there are only 4 or 5 I am sure I can easily delete them later when I need to this and allowed me to install openwebrx and get my SDR going. Just to get closer to the topics, I was trying the lubuntu box (HP Miniserver) just to see how much interference my PI generates on 2mtrs. The answer seems to be “a lot” so next task is linear PSU for the PI…

As for “others” well not that’s current. RISC is hardware, not software. Solaris might work, but the Intel port is picky about hardware. NT4 or Windows/2000 would probably be OK but so long out of support not worth trying.

Really its just poor hardware. The Intel Atom CPU is optimized for low power consumption. The battery lasts for three or four hours. However whilst the designers fulfilled this part of the design, it seems, they forgot that to be useful it needs to execute more than one instruction a fortnight….

… as for operating systems getting in the way, well in normal times I demonstrate the replica Baby at the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester

https://www.scienceandindustrymuseum.org.uk/whats-on/meet-baby

… and having only seven instructions and 32 words of storage it makes event a PIC chip look like a Super Computer, never mind an Arduino

Dave

G4UGM

(and yes its me on the picture. Only because they wanted a lady as well and Christine was there….)