Re: 8Gb RPI4 info...

Marty Hartwell

Hi

Thanks that is good idea, of just adding adding a user and keeping the Pi user id too. I haven't

used a windows PC for years on a regular basis, and also haven't been a system admin on Unix

for over 20 years now and there have been a lot of changes in that amount of time. I do

remember quite a lot though. I was just hoping there might be some write up on some pitfalls

to watch out for.

Marty kd8bj

On 6/8/20 5:09 PM, N5XMT wrote:
You would add a user.  Trying to change the name of a user will possibly cause issues down the road with permissions.  If you are wanting to use it to replace a windows PC, I would suggest finding an introductory Linux book to read to familiarize yourself a bit first.

On Jun 8, 2020, at 13:17, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Ok, good to know, I guess I should of known that but didn't even consider it.

The subject line I guess made me question.

Thanks, I am thinking of replacing a laptop with one of the 8 GB ones for the

home PC.

Does anyone know of a link to a description on how to change the user id from pi

to something else. I don't want to make it multi  user, just the user so it looks more

like my laptop currently does.

Marty

On 6/8/20 3:11 PM, N5XMT wrote:
They are all 64 bit ones.  Even the 3B and 3B+ are 64 bit architecture

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 12:19 PM Marty Hartwell < mhartwe@...> wrote:

Hi Joe

Is it one of the 64bit ones?

Marty kd8bj

On 6/8/20 1:15 PM, Joe, KO8V wrote:
Just had one delivered today from CanaKit.

Joe, KO8V