Re: Linux scanning USB at boot, assign /dev/ttyUSB labels

Chuck M

Here's what I mentioned earlier today and the udev rules (need to check those myself)
Info from using command dmesg:
****
usb 1-1.3: Product: CQXIEGUirtual COM Port
usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: CQXiEGULinzhian
usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: 48F5673D3234

***
string used in flrig for serial port to radio:
***
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-CQXiEGULinzhian_CQXIEGUirtual_COM_Port_48F5673D3234-if00
***
The usb 1-1.nnnn can change depending on how I have stuff connected.  the string above finds it anyway.  Assuming the "-if00" after serial number is something required by the udev rules.

Hope this example helps.

Chuck
KD9DVB

On Saturday, June 6, 2020, 03:07:36 PM EDT, David Birnbaum <dbirnbau@...> wrote:

What you want is to write udev rules. There's stuff online that shows how to do it; you need two numbers for each device.  Your printout has these: MODEL_ID and VENDOR_ID.  These two hex numbers go into the udev rule which will then always assign a name of your choice for the device regardless of where it's plugged in or in what order.

dave
k2lyv