Re: Noisy Pi4 - particularly on 2m

N5XMT

I picked up a pack of 4 adjustable 5A Buck converters off Amazon for 14 bucks  12v in, adjusted the output to 5.2V.  One I ran a USB-C cable from it to the Pi4 for power, the other 3 I ran the buck converter to the 5V GPIO pins for power.  All 4 are working great

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 10:23 AM Tadd KA2DEW in NC via groups.io <tadd=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
What we need is a 9 V to 15 V DC input device which outputs 5.1v regulated to a USB socket and which delivers that voltage reliably automatically when the input voltage is applied (not like the new DROK device which requires menu manipulation to turn on the USB output).  Most of the devices that are close to these specs only put out 4.9 to 5 V which is not enough for the PI 4B.  Or, they use screw terminal outputs which is not good for the casual Raspberry PI software engineer.  Sockets are good.
We’d further like this device to be $20 or less.  I’ve seen things which are really close to what we want for as little as a couple of dollars.  But close doesn’t count here.  It has to be 5.1 VDC and it has to be always on, and it has to take DC input.

Would it be worth $40 to have a 3 Amp linear supply through-hole KIT that does the above?  I have a schematic for a circuit to do this and handle charging, switchover, and relay protect for a GelCel UPS and early protection alert to Raspberry PI when the battery is getting close to damaging itself.  WN8P did the schematic.  We’re pondering making and selling PCBs (for cost via ETSY) and publishing a bill-of-materials for builder purchase from DigiKey.

The design seems expensive.  I’m just wondering if it is worth it.  The cost includes the heat sync but no housing or Gel Cel.   Dunno.  It seemed a good idea at the time.  I can do really good kit building instructions. See this page:

  KA2DEW

On Jun 2, 2020, at 8:33 PM, Chuck M via groups.io <cam51mail@...> wrote:

I've done that as well.  On pi3 tweaked the voltage until lightning icon stayed home.

Thingiverse has various case designs for them depending on model.  Also designs to make inline fuse holder.

Can also get something like this:

KD9DVB

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 7:34 PM, nb7o
<khedgepe@...> wrote:

Another solution, that I use here, is to buy a dc-dc voltage converter.  I have a 12v to 5v dc-dc converter with a usb connector on the 5v side.  I have Anderson power poles on the 12v side and I plug it into my 50a 12v power supply.  The DC-DC converter I have provides 3a of power to the PI which also helps with low voltage conditions on the pi.

Seven three de kevin/NB7O