Re: Packet

The ad mentions GPIO so perhaps that covers the PTT issue.  I didn't notice if it had transformers which would make it a no go for higher speed digital.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020, 1:20 PM David Ranch <rpi4hamradio-groupsio@...> wrote:

Hey John,

I haven't seen this board before.  Any initial thoughts compared to the Fe-Pi Audio Z (another I2S-based card)?

On 05/31/2020 10:53 PM, John Tetreault (WA1OKB) wrote:

On Sat, May 30, 2020, 9:52 PM David McQuate <mcquate@...> wrote:
John,
  May I ask what "board based sound solution" you are using?
Thanks!
Dave  WA8YWQ

"John Tetreault (WA1OKB)" <john.h.tetreault@...> wrote:
Hm... I've had DireWolf running continuously on a Pi Zero W for over a month, no lockups, and rock solid stable.   I used to have issues when I was using a USB sound adapter... But on e I switched to a board based sound solution, it's been solid...

On Thu, May 28, 2020, 6:48 AM Mark Griffith via groups.io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Vincent,

The TNC-Pi from W2FS is no longer available since he has retired and closed his business. MFJ is supposed to be soon selling a new TNC board John designed, but they are slowed in getting this done due to the virus situation.

The WVARC is selling the TNC-Pi9k6 which is a drop-in replacement for the TNC-Pi and also has 9600 baud capability. Their project is at https://www.wvcarc.com/p/tnc-96k-resources.html. You can get to their online store at https://www.etsy.com/shop/WVCARC where you can buy the TNC as a kit or assembled. The assembled price of $87 is pretty good and I doubt the TNC-Pi from MFJ will be much less.

Direwolf on the Raspberry Pi works, but it has a problem with locking up if left running for several days, which requires a reboot to fix. If this doesn't bother you, Direwolf works just fine.

I prefer hardware solutions when they are available, but that is just me. One less thing to worry about.

Check out John Wiseman's linbpq on the Raspberry Pi for a great BBS solution. http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/index.html

Mark
KD0QYN

On Thursday, May 28, 2020, 02:57:29 AM CDT, Vincent <panserv@...> wrote:

Hi everyone, my first post here.

I have been toying with the idea of setting up a Raspberry pi based BBS system for a very small number of users ( 2 to 5) at slow speeds (1200 and less). I have been away from Ham radio especially packet for years and I can now see that there is a move away from hardware TNC's to software modems. After a little bit of searching I found TNC board from W2FS, the TNC Pi.

I wonder if I may ask a newbee question: is there anything to be gained or lost choosing a box TNC over a software solution maybe like Direwolf ?

Sent with mySecureMail.
http://www.mysecurephone.eu/