Re: Noisy Pi4 - particularly on 2m

Charles Rich AK4SR

Wall warts are often a big contributor to noise. The good news is that even though the makers of the Raspberry Pi don't recommend connecting it to the USB port on your computer, it actually works just fine (depending on the reliability of your computer, of course). Cutting the power supply out altogether is definitely a less noisy way to operate.

The biggest reason the Pi guys say not to plug into the USB is mostly because computers are often set to put USB ports to sleep when the computer screen blanks and that can shut down the Pi unexpectedly. Set your computer and ports to never sleep and you're good to go. I've also heard the argument that USB ports don't provide enough current - but then the wall wart that comes with the Pi isn't capable of putting out as much current as a USB 3 port (where's the logic in that?).

Charles
AK4SR
https://stemhamradio.net

On 6/2/2020 12:43 PM, Steve wrote:

Setting up for this evenings 2m UKAC I noticed the noise floor was around S8. The obvious suspect being the recentle added Pi. It was!
Not helped by the fact I have it in a perspex case. It's also very close to the rig
The plan is to put it in a metal case and do the same with the power supply - although I might also change that for a
https://uk.farnell.com/tracopower/txm-015-105/power-supply-ac-dc-15w-5v-3a/dp/2363846
Which are made to a slightly higher standard than the wall worts (or is it wart?) that are everywhere.
Thoughts on the above - please - alternative suggestions.
73's
Steve

G4SDM