Re: New Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB RAM :: native 64bit version of Raspberry Pi OS (was Raspbian) in Beta

Steve WB3LGC

I have also noticed other updates. There are many youtube videos about booting from SSD. I have found (at least) one that gives enough detail for me to understand what "they" are doing...

BOOT Rpi from SSD…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5tJBdUO-s

SEE: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bcm2711_bootloader_config.md
and https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/booteeprom.md

"your" comments?? Has anyone tried?
I would "guess" if pieeprom-2020-05-15.bin changed...
73, steve WB3LGC

[Code]

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo rpi-update
sudo reboot
sudo apt install rpi-eeprom
sudo nano /etc/default/rpi-eeprom-update

replace “critical” with “beta”
<ctrl> x , y, and Enter

sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -f /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/beta/pieeprom-2020-05-15.bin
sudo reboot

vcgencmd bootloader_version
vcgencmd bootloader_config

On 5/30/20 7:50 PM, David Ranch wrote:
Hey Everyone,
I don't know if it was posted here yet but a new Raspberry Pi 4 has been released with 8GB of RAM.  It's basically the same SBC as the older Rpi4 but now with more RAM:
https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/issues/94/pdf page 36
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-8gb-tested
In addition to this, it sounds like Raspbian has been renamed to "Raspberry Pi OS" and there is a native 64bit version of it already in beta.  While it sounds like this OS will consume more RAM, you WILL see better performance on it.  Check out the Tom's Hardware link for some examples.