Re: No help? Wireless D-LINK DWA-131

Untarring (tar is the Unix/Linux equivalent of a zip file) -- is not what's going to trip up folks.  This file contains source code to compile, firmware to put in the right place in the file system, activating services, and so forth.

Remember, the Pi is not a "consumer" desktop that comes with everything already built and integrated, so users would be well advised to use the verified peripherals list and pick what you need from there, unless you are prepared to put in the time to understand building things from source, editing, debugging, etc.

If you can't get what you need in a pre-built package (via apt-get or similar), this is going to be a common situation.

It's a great learning experience and Google can be your best friend.  Taking the time to explain this step-by-step can be very consuming.  Many of us are willing to help with specific areas, just be sure you have done your own research and homework.

General questions about RasPi, and various programs to run under it are probably better served in the larger RasPi community (WiKis, blogs, forums, etc.) -- this one will be more valuable for Ham Radio related software and Ham Radio specific interfacing.

John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Eric Scott <kc7klz@...> wrote:

Try this web site to unzip a tar.gz.

73

Eric
KC7KLZ

On 2012-09-10, at 1:34 PM, "Donald J. Tambeau" <tambeaud@...> wrote:

Hello Danny,
    Thank you for your help.  Without the D-LINK-131 plugged in a USB port, I plugged in a cable to the network adapter of my Rasp Pi and connected to the internet.   I went to the D-Link website and downloaded the Linux driver for the     DWA-131 adapter.  Now I have the driver  “dwa131_linux_drivers_100.tar.gz”  in the    /home/pi/downloads   directory on my Rasp Pi.   I am not sure how to proceed with this (tar.gz) file.   I think it has to be decompressed and then install.   Can you or anybody else explain how to do this.   Also .....does it have to be in a certain directory?
Thank you
Don
VE3HOL

Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: No help? Wireless D-LINK DWA-131

Hi Don
In the setup guide it says to install the drivers before you plug in the adaptor but the included drivers are for windows or MAC you have to go to D-Link's web site to get the Linux drives. I wen't and downloaded the drivers but I think the instalation instructions assumes the user has more Linux
experence than I have. I opened wicd and it was able to see my wirless router but when I clicked connect it failed. Also when I logged into the router it sees the Raspberry an has given it an I.P address. There is a help section on the company web site that says to push the button on the end of the adaptor then push the wps button on the router but I haven't tryed that yet if that dosen't work I will contact the help center to see if they can help me get the drivers installed. If one of us gets it working we should write it up and post it to the files section.
Danny
   WB9RIM