Re: Command not found

Eric

My guess is that your PATH environment variable was removed.

If you type echo $PATH (echo is built into the shell), you should get something like
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:

When you type in a command, BASH looks to see if the command is built in. If not, it then looks though the various paths until it finds the command.

I'm having to "bail out" right now to go meet some folks, but check out the following.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/227989/complete-view-of-where-the-path-variable-is-set-in-bash

(be care of the possible line breaks)

and in your home directory is a file called .profile Note it has the "dot" in front of the file name. The dot keeps the file from being displayed unless you want by adding the -a option to ls.

The commands are likely there, but just not accessible because the path. So, while you are looking around, try

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:

and then

so you can at least look around.

Eric