Re: Now that coastal Chipworks is gone

Michael WA7SKG

All fine and good for those interested in the TNC-X replacement. For those interested in a TNC-Pi replacement, it looks like you are out of luck. Personally, I think that is very sad. From what I have seen, the TNC-Pi far outsold the TNC-X. The convenience of the HAT format, especially for mobile and portable use was a huge feature point for me.

Hopefully, someone will realize the market and pick it up. As an Open Source project, there is no concern for licensing and everything is freely available to copy. Granted the board will need a bit of a redesign to accommodate surface mount components, but that should be fairly doable.

Michael WA7SKG

Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io wrote on 2/2/20 6:25 PM:

Interesting.  I heard MFJ was going to take the designs and sell them at a higher price. see MFJ’s version of TNC-X
https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1270X
Our packet group decided to make our own. http://tarpn.net/t/nino-tnc/nino-tnc.html
we intend to deliver for cost to support packet radio and get our name out there.
Tadd --- Sent from Planet X

On Feb 2, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:

I spoke to John last week. He said someone is taking over his firm and new units should be available in March. They will advertise somewhere I assume.

Doug VE1ZG
_._,_._,_