Topics

Swift Reefer Notes: Door Hinges

Bob Chaparro

Swift Reefer Notes

Claus Schlund posted this link to a photo of Swift reefers on the Real Steam Era Freight Car group:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49067206302/in/album-72157640479663145/

Richard Townsend commented there are only two hinges on each side of the door. Doug Harding commented that two hinges per door was more common than thought, especially on earlier reefers.

I checked my collection of prototype Swift reefer photos and found nine steel-sheathed cars, all in the 15XXX series, that had only two hinges per door.

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

Douglas Harding

Thanks Bob, some of those I had not seen. Attached are some photos of wood Swift reefers with 2 hinges per door.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Claus Schlund posted this link to a photo of Swift reefers on the Real Steam Era Freight Car group:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49067206302/in/album-72157640479663145/

Richard Townsend commented there are only two hinges on each side of the door. Doug Harding commented that two hinges per door was more common than thought, especially on earlier reefers.

I checked my collection of prototype Swift reefer photos and found nine steel-sheathed cars, all in the 15XXX series, that had only two hinges per door.

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

ROGER HINMAN

The hinges shown on SRLX 4906 were URECO hinges which had a self locking feature and were used in the 1920s on a lot of meat reefers of the time.

The hinges shown on SRLX 15908 and others were a General American double hinge especially developed for their attempt at a car for frozen food service in 1934; made sense that GA would try this hinge on cars for their Swift lessee

Roger Hinman