Topics

Swift Reefer Notes: Door Hinges

Bob Chaparro

Swift Reefer Notes

Claus Schlund posted this link to a photo of Swift reefers on the Real Steam Era Freight Car group:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49067206302/in/album-72157640479663145/

Richard Townsend commented there are only two hinges on each side of the door. Doug Harding commented that two hinges per door was more common than thought, especially on earlier reefers.

I checked my collection of prototype Swift reefer photos and found nine steel-sheathed cars, all in the 15XXX series, that had only two hinges per door.

Bob Chaparro

Douglas Harding

Thanks Bob, some of those I had not seen. Attached are some photos of wood Swift reefers with 2 hinges per door.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: RailwayBullShippersGroup@groups.io [mailto:RailwayBullShippersGroup@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:32 AM
To: RailwayBullShippersGroup@groups.io
Subject: [RailwayBullShippersGroup] Swift Reefer Notes: Door Hinges

Swift Reefer Notes

Claus Schlund posted this link to a photo of Swift reefers on the Real Steam Era Freight Car group:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49067206302/in/album-72157640479663145/

Richard Townsend commented there are only two hinges on each side of the door. Doug Harding commented that two hinges per door was more common than thought, especially on earlier reefers.

I checked my collection of prototype Swift reefer photos and found nine steel-sheathed cars, all in the 15XXX series, that had only two hinges per door.

Bob Chaparro

ROGER HINMAN

The hinges shown on SRLX 4906 were URECO hinges which had a self locking feature and were used in the 1920s on a lot of meat reefers of the time.

The hinges shown on SRLX 15908 and others were a General American double hinge especially developed for their attempt at a car for frozen food service in 1934; made sense that GA would try this hinge on cars for their Swift lessee

Roger Hinman

On Nov 20, 2019, at 9:30 AM, Douglas Harding <doug.harding@...> wrote:

Thanks Bob, some of those I had not seen. Attached are some photos of wood Swift reefers with 2 hinges per door.

Doug  Harding

From: RailwayBullShippersGroup@groups.io [mailto:RailwayBullShippersGroup@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:32 AM
To: RailwayBullShippersGroup@groups.io
Subject: [RailwayBullShippersGroup] Swift Reefer Notes: Door Hinges

Swift Reefer Notes
Bob Chaparro
<image002.jpg><image003.jpg><image004.jpg><image006.jpg><image007.jpg>
<image008.jpg><image009.jpg><image010.jpg><image011.jpg>

<SRLX 4906 wood meat reefer.JPG><SRLX 9863 reefer Swift.jpg><Swift Reefer NYC.jpg><Swift reefers Allegheny Ave Pittsburg 1952.png><SRLX 2571 Sioux City 1951.jpg>

Bob Chaparro

Another Swift Reefer With Two Hinges Per Door

Restored SLRX 15917 at the New Hope Valley Railway:

https://www.triangletrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/QR_Refer.jpg

Bob Chaparro

Douglas Harding

Too bad they got the reporting marks wrong when they repainted the reefer. SLRX are the reporting marks for St Louis Refrigerator Car Co., which was owned by Anheuser Busch and whose cars were used to transport beer.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: RailwayBullShippersGroup@groups.io [mailto:RailwayBullShippersGroup@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 7:20 PM
To: RailwayBullShippersGroup@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RailwayBullShippersGroup] Swift Reefer Notes: Door Hinges

Another Swift Reefer With Two Hinges Per Door

Restored SLRX 15917 at the New Hope Valley Railway:

https://www.triangletrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/QR_Refer.jpg

Bob Chaparro