Topics

Central Valley Stockcar Kit

Bob Chaparro

As some of you know, Central Valley Model Works

( http://www.cvmw.com/index.htm ) makes an HO scale kit for a Northern Pacific livestock car.

This is a flat-molded kit: http://www.shop.cvmw.com/StockCarKit-1001.htm

It's a nice model but it suffers from being one scale foot too wide.

The Northern Pacific Railway Historical Association's newsletter, The Mainstreeter, published an article in Volume 25-1 on kit-bashing the Central Valley kit to narrow the model to its prototype width. This process requires extensive rebuilding of the car ends.

The NPRHA Modeling Committee now offers those car ends as resin castings to make this modification project simpler and faster. They came in a package containing four pairs of car ends, allowing you to modify four Central Valley stock car kits.

Here is a link to the castings: http://store.nprha.org/ho-scale-stock-car-ends/

Has anyone built this kit, modified or not?

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

Douglas Harding

Bob I built a few of these kits soon after they came out, not difficult that I recall. I don’t believe the decals I used are made anymore, but some still offers decals for this car. The curved roof is very distinctive and says NP right away. The kit makes a nice looking stockcar, but when in a string of others the extra width is noticeable. The NPHS came out with the correct width ends a number of years ago, but I have not used any of them. I may have a few more on the shelf do recall at the moment. To use the ends you have to cut a section out of the middle of the roof, the splice is covered by the running boards. And you need to narrow the floor, I believe this is done by taking some off each side.

The attached photos shows one in a string of stockcars at the Decker hog warehouse on my layout. I’ll see if I can take a better photo tonight when I get home. It will be late.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Bob Chaparro

Comments on the Yahoo group:

Bob I built a few of these kits soon after they came out, not difficult that I recall. I don’t believe the decals I used are made anymore, but some still offers decals for this car. The curved roof is very distinctive and says NP right away. The kit makes a nice looking stockcar, but when in a string of others the extra width is noticeable. The NPHS came out with the correct width ends a number of years ago, but I have not used any of them. I may have a few more on the shelf do recall at the moment. To use the ends you have to cut a section out of the middle of the roof, the splice is covered by the running boards. And you need to narrow the floor, I believe this is done by taking some off each side.

The attached photos (Yahoo killed the photo) shows one in a string of stockcars at the Decker hog warehouse on my layout. I’ll see if I can take a better photo tonight when I get home. It will be late.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

++++

Yes. You need to cut the roof and underframe to reduce by 1'. The results are substantial. The end castings are nice, just wish they were sold as pairs. You need to get friends to go in with you unless you need 4 cars.

http://old.atsfrr.org/resources/Sandifer/Clinics/Stk/Mod/CV.htm

Steve Sandifer

Douglas Harding

As promised here are some photos of the Central Valley NP stockcar as built from the kit. For contrast I also show a Sunshine Models CB&Q SM18 36’ stockcar and a Proto2000 Mather 40’ stockcar. The end shot really shows the different in the width. Will send some more.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Douglas Harding

As promised here are some more photos of the Central Valley NP stockcar as built from the kit. These photos show the bottom and side.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Bob Chaparro

Yahoo failed to post Doug Harding's photos so here they are for both groups to enjoy. Bad Yahoo, bad!

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

+++++