TRANSPORTATION: RAILROAD: PASSENGER : TOURISM AND TRAVEL : HOSPITALITY : MUSEUMS : UNITED STATES: STATES: PENNSYLVANIA: Railroad Buffs Still Make Tracks to Strasburg

David P. Dillard

..

..

TRANSPORTATION: RAILROAD: PASSENGER :

TOURISM AND TRAVEL :

HOSPITALITY :

MUSEUMS :

UNITED STATES: STATES: PENNSYLVANIA:

Railroad Buffs Still Make Tracks to Strasburg

..

..

Railroad Buffs Still Make Tracks to Strasburg

By Rob Owen

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Published August 30, 2015 at 12:02AM

Bend Bulletin

http://www.bendbulletin.com/lifestyle/3457102-151/ railroad-buffs-still-make-tracks-to-strasburg#

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/nk3nmqs

..

..

Parents instinctively want to re-create their favorite childhood memories for their own children. When we adopted our son, now 5, he arrived with an innate love of trains that reflected and even outpaced my own childhood devotion to all things railroad. It was only a matter of time before we retraced my childhood visits to railroad sites in this Amish county town, with our tow-headed youngun in tow.

..

Strasburg Railroad

..

Since 1959 the Strasburg Railroad has offered excursion rides along its tracks through Amish farm country in lovingly restored coaches that are in extremely good condition, especially compared to some other short-line railroads across the country.

..

Each ride pulled by a steam engine is a little less than an hour, and the conductors patter hasnt changed much from what I remember when riding these rails as a child. The conductor still points out the turkey farm the train steams past and teases guests with the notion of a ghost train across the valley that responds to the Strasburg Railroads whistle.

..

We pay that ghost $27.50 a day to sit there and blow that whistle back to us, the conductor joked about the echo.

..

The Strasburg Railroad does offer more coach options than it did two decades ago, including reasonably priced lunches in air-conditioned dining cars. Just last month the Pinball Pendolino Car debuted, offering guests a chance to play pinball while riding the train.

..

Our son arrived at the station dressed in his striped engineer overalls, eager to board the train and equally interested in the station-based add-ons, including hand-propelled Cranky Cars and a miniature steam train originally used at Coney Island (both free for kids 2 and under, $5 ages 3 and up).

..

..

Topics Covered in This Article

Red Caboose Motel

Train museums

The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania is officially dedicated to collecting, preserving and interpreting objects relating to the history of railroading in Pennsylvania, but it also offers a lot for children, including an educational wing filled with toy trains to play with, a diesel locomotive cab simulator and a steam engine mock-up where kids can shovel coal (pieces of black foam) into an engines boiler.

..

On the last morning of our stay in this railroad buffs paradise, our son started barking like a dog from the top bunk in the cupola of our caboose room, which is not unusual. He imitates our dog a lot. When we asked for a translation to Eng

..

..

..

..

More Posts on Net-Gold about Strasburg

http://tinyurl.com/pqohdw8

..

..

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

Research Guides
http://tinyurl.com/qy3gq6g
AND

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557
INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IndoorGardeningUrban/info
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

Copyright Research Guide
http://guides.temple.edu/copyright-plagiarism
Fair Use
http://guides.temple.edu/fair-use

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neemers/

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
David P. Dillard
http://tinyurl.com/o4pn4o9

Rail Transportation

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

..

..

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives

..

..

Join RailTransportation@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.