Topics

Power and SWR meter in 5" or 7" version

Johan G. Holstein

Dear all,

Recently Loftur's firmware is tweaked for 5" or 7" RA8875 TFT display this work comes from
Timothy Hatch, before you start buy this big screen please note the touchscreen controller.

In the next week there will be instructions how connect this to my board and there will be a complete package with all library's

Best,
Johan

Reynier Perez

Wow..!!!! that screen looks awesome. I really like the level of detail have. I would like to know if that will be the one image that will be projected when making the measurements. I would like it to have the largest power numbers that can be easily read.
I thank you very much Johan for sharing all this information with us. I know this has taken a lot of effort to achieve it.
I am very excited building my own SWR power meter.
All the best from WO9C Reynier .

Martin Sole

Whoa!, That's very tasty looking indeed.

A 7" version of the TF3LJ power meter, a must have for sure.
Well I think another meter is in the offing here.

Martin, HS0ZED

On 10/02/2019 01:00, Johan G. Holstein wrote:
Dear all,

Recently Loftur's firmware is tweaked for 5" or 7" RA8875 TFT display this work comes from
Timothy Hatch, before you start buy this big screen please note the touchscreen controller.

In the next week there will be instructions how connect this to my board and there will be a complete package with all library's

Best,
Johan

yoram

Wow !
Looks great !!!    7 "  !
Waiting for project to complete ..
It would be most helpful to add such a meter to the station

Good luck !

Yoram
4X1YS

yoram

Hello Johan

A thought that went through my mind

How about a combination of crossed needles Display ..

And " regular"  measurement display ?

On one device

Selecting between the views with a  touch  of a screen

It will be possible to enjoy both worlds

Regards

Yoram

4X1YS

Johan G. Holstein

Hi Yoram,

Yes this is exactly what I like to do .... however this will take some time too.

The cross needles are for 80% done and with the sketch from Tim I can easily implement this.

So the only thing on this moment where I can find the time to do all the jobs.

The new PCB boards is done and did you see the VNA plot?  .... however there where also questions to split my new board with only the direction couplers and log amps. This is for sure a good idea and I will make this ready next week.

So a lot of work to do:-)

Best regards,

Johan

On 2/11/2019 10:45 AM, yoram wrote:

Hello Johan

A thought that went through my mind

How about a combination of crossed needles Display ..

And " regular"  measurement display ?

On one device

Selecting between the views with a  touch  of a screen

It will be possible to enjoy both worlds

Regards

Yoram

4X1YS

yoram

Hi Johan

Of course I saw   J

I follow the progress and am excited about the results.

Waiting to build such a device. With a 7 " screen maybe two  device's

it will be great !!!

Good luck Johan !

Yoram

מאת: RadioStuff@groups.io [mailto:RadioStuff@groups.io] בשם Johan G. Holstein
נשלח: יום ב 11 פברואר 2019 12:42
אל: RadioStuff@groups.io
נושא: Re: [RadioStuff] Power and SWR meter in 5" or 7" version

[...]

Conrad, PA5Y

Hi Johan I would certainly like a board that does not contain the coupler but can take an input from VHF style external couplers and log amps. Please make provision for log amps that will work up to 2.5 GHz if possible or put a header on for DC input. So far no offer of help from anyone to have multiple calibration factors for each band. I wish that I could program the code. I think that there would be huge interest in the VHF and above community.

You have done a very nice job with the current PCB, plenty of ground vias 😊

73

Conrad PA5Y

[...]

Hi Conrad,

I think there is much possible and we can program nearly everything .... also for multiple calibration sets.

However there is our enemy called time, let me look a bit further in detail about your question later.

I amazed  with the new board it's better then I thought . The Sontheimer/Frederik-Kopplers doing there work perfectly and the VIA wow this was a lot of work to place them:-)

Best regards,

Johan

On 2/11/2019 1:06 PM, Conrad, PA5Y wrote:

[...]

Thierry F4EWI

Hello Johan,

I am in France and I discovered these projects through a Japanese OM! I am very interested in version 7" and can you tell me when this version will be available, to order a kit?

I wish I could measure digital DMR signals of a few milliwatts, is that possible?

73s

Thierry - F4EWI

Argos Argos

Any news about it?

I have a doubt. Is it necessary to modify the current PCBs to connect 7 "TFT  ?.

Regards. Argos

Johan G. Holstein

No not any doubt at all.

Best,
Johan

Argos Argos

Hi Johan,

It would be great if you gave instructions on how to connect 7 " TFT display to the board and how to add the libraries and modify the firmware for this screen. thank you so much.

Regards.

ik6vxf@...

Hi Johan,
as I have the big display, is the package available to connect it to the swr/pwr meter???
Do we use the Teensy 3.2 or the 3.6 to connect the dispaly???
Thank you vewry much for your big job.
Felice

ik6vxf@...

....the displat I have, is the RA8875.....

Johan G. Holstein

Hi Felice,

There are many types of the RA8875 display..... please look on the back site for a ER number and let me know.

Best,

Johan

On 11-04-19 14:53, ik6vxf@... wrote:
....the displat I have, is the RA8875.....

ik6vxf@...

Dear Johan, atteched a photo of the display that I have, hope this should be ok.
If not please be patient, tell me wich one is correct and the istructions for installing, if available from you.
Thank you very much.
Felice

ik6vxf@...

Hi Johan, did you see my board's photo???

Is that usefull for the swr/pwr meter project???

If yes let me know, and where I can find the detailes of it (connections and software)!!!

If the display is not good, please write here the correct ER number

Thank you very much for your support.

Felice

Argos Argos

Hi Felice

I comment on my progress because there is nothing published since this thread was opened.

I use a TFT of 7". The model is ER-TFTM070-5 from buydisplay. The touch panel can be capacitive or resitive.

You have to use a powerful 5-volt power supply.

Also you have to modify the firmware 102 of Loftur Jónasson, which I have not done because I am very beginner in Arduino.

Attached connection diagram with Teensy.

73's

Scott Dupuie

Johan,

I'm curious if you are using a Teensy 3.2 or a Teensy 3.5/3.6 for this project. Loftur's firmware takes about 98% of the program space when I compile it for the 2.8" TFT. I have run into space problems attempting to add additional features to his version. I'm curious if you had the same problem.

Scott