Midget car #s

Don Radbruch <radbruch@...>

In the Bay Cities Racing Association (BCRA) in northern California the car numbers were based on car owner points for the previous season. I believe the first ten positions were required to use those numbers. Beyond that it was OK to trade around with permission from somebody. Some car owners chose to run high numbers that would not be effected by the 50 or 60 cars that would run in a given season in the 1950s and '60s. That way they could run the same number every year.

If cars with duplicate numbers showed up at a race an "X" was added with tape or whatever was available. These were usually visiting cars.

I don't think the BCRA would have put up with this nonsense of some guy running half a dozen # 9 cars like in USAC or whatever that is.

Don Radbruch

Join RacingHistory@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.