POTA and RADAR

Thomas Robinson

Hi All
I've just discovered that POTA is now active in the UK (England at least).  I found out about it by watching a tube video -  the link to which is given below. In the video RaDAR gets a mention about 10min20sec in.

I think I will get have to get going on POTA

https://youtu.be/c0C1TQBRq6Y

73. Tom G0SBW

John VA3KOT

Tom, beware, POTA is highly addictive. I tried it and have now become a hopeless addict. If you were hoping for a nice, relaxed operating style forget about it. Once your operation gets spotted on the POTA website you will be hit with a pile-up!

I used to go out to the field and fire off general CQs (CW) and was usually rewarded with just a few RBN hits but seldom many QSOs. So, when I embarked on my POTA journey, I wondered how I was going to get the required 10 QSOs for an activation. Boy, was I in for a pleasant surprise. It took just 15 minutes to get my first activation completed!

Some people activate multiple parks in a single outing so that makes it sound ideal for RaDAR.

John, VA3KOT

On Wed., Nov. 18, 2020, 09:57 Thomas Robinson via groups.io, <g0sbw=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All
I've just discovered that POTA is now active in the UK (England at least).  I found out about it by watching a tube video -  the link to which is given below. In the video RaDAR gets a mention about 10min20sec in.

I think I will get have to get going on POTA

https://youtu.be/c0C1TQBRq6Y

73. Tom G0SBW

Mark Wickens

Thank you for the head's up Tom about Parks on the Air now being active in the UK, and the information John.

I've been considering WWFF and can imagine with good band conditions that there could be a good run of US stations for Parks on the Air. I would certainly consider a QRO setup for this situation!

Regards Mark

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 16:51, John VA3KOT <va3kot@...> wrote:
[...]

Mark et al;

I go trailer camping in the summer (that's "caravaning" to UK readers). I hookup my trailer to the campground's 110V/30A supply which gives me ample power to operate 100 watts. My most recent POTA activation was a day trip to an Ontario Provincial park which is classified as "non-operating" which means no camping. I ran 30 watts from a 15Ah SLA battery pack into a simple vertical antenna with 2 counterpoises laid on the ground. I still got a pile-up and activated the park in 18 minutes. Others have successfully activated parks with a QRP setup (I believe Greg, N4KGL has done that).

John VA3KOT

Owen Sound, ON Canada