Old Timers RaDAR Day Out

Thomas Robinson

 I have a problem with my KX3 - low transmit power, and am having difficulty getting it repaired .  So feeling the need for a lighter weight, QRP  pedestrian mobile rig I’ve set up a backpack using some of my older equipment -

Rig:  Icom 703 purchased 2003
ATU: LDG Z11, purchased 2003?

Antenna: EX military whip,  manufactured 1945

Backpack:  Ex British army. Circa 1950s

Battery: Model racing car NiMH 12V. 3800 mAhr.  Hard to get now but been using them since 2002.

Operator: bit rusty now - been around a long time.

Today I took out the "old timer: and it worked well.  We covered about 6 kilometres in some 3 1/2 hours.  Only got two QSOs but 17m was alive with many QRO stations.  I logged my two QSOs on the RaDAR Sprint Log program, putting the locator info in the comments section.  Exporting the ADIF to my log on QRZ.com  is see I now have the locator details there.

I have attached two photos of the location of my second QSO.  This location might be considered Ideal for low angle, DX radiation with a vertical.  I was standing on a metal grid almost over salt water with the step's railings behind me possibly acting as a reflector.  No wonder WD8CCC in West Virginia picked my 10W SSB to a 3.5m whip out from the crowd and gave me a 5,7.

An interesting afternoon.

73. Tom GSBW

Eddie Leighton

Wow Tom well don, RESPECT!

Hope you can get the KX3 sorted.

73 de Eddie ZS6BNE

On Tue, 16 Nov 2021, 20:50 Thomas Robinson via groups.io, <g0sbw=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Richard Hooper - Sandringham Scouts

That's great. Nice area to make a few contacts. Hope you get the KX3 sorted.

73 de ZS6RKE