Topics

G0SBW's Challenge Reort - July 2020

Thomas Robinson

A difficult day for the challenge with the IARU contest.  Also I had family visiting under the Covid19, lockdown “bubble”arrangements.  Following test on Friday I decided to operate for a couple of hours in the morning on 40m before the start of the contest at 12:00 UTC.  This would give me time to be back home before my visitors arrived.  I also planned to operate on 17m in the late afternoon to try to give a RaDAR to RaDAR QSO to  operators in N. America.

So, Was atomy first station at about 07:30 UTC. After about an hour I had my five QSOs and made my way on foot to station 2, one kilometre away.  Here I managed four QSOS before deciding to head back home to meet my guests.  Actually thought I had made 5 QSOs - clerical error!.

I got home a few minutes after the guests arrived.

My experience on 40m was mixed.  There was  lots of European  activity.  Many  QRO + nets and long chatty QSOs going on.  My QRP SSB CQ calls  did not attract any takers.  I found the best qso chances with Flora and Fauna stations.

I did venture out for an hour late afternoon to see if I could work any RaDAR stations on 17m.  !7m was very flat - no intercontinental stations whatsoever and only two or three audible European stations.  I had QSOs with two of them.  They gave me surprising ly good signal reports in view of my10W to a 3metre vertical backpack mounted antenna.

Attached to this post are photos of stations 1 and 2 of this mornings Radar Challenge, a Strava track of my route and an extract of my QRZ log - only 9 contacts.  Also attached is my log of this afternoons outing on 17m.  A very short video of me CQing, this afternoon, on the 17m HF pack frequency will be in the next post

Thomas Robinson

Here is the short movie referred to in the previous post