RaDAR operations November 6-7

Jacob Lindsey ( KN4YAV ) and Kayla Lindsey ( KO4DEG )

Hello everyone,

I will be taking part in RaDAR this coming November. Operating out of East Tennessee, i will be backpacking kitted out for an emcomm situation. Ill be operating SSB 40m and 20m. Dipole antenna and the Tx500.

I was wanting to get a take on how many others will be operating this next go around, your mode of travel, and operating plans.

Thanks all

73s

Mark Wickens

Morning

I hope to be out on November 7th, as 6th is the SOTA Transatlantic QSO party - admittedly good if you want quick contacts and have the SOTAWatch app but I would like to try and keep things separate.
I am planning a linear walk with my normal SOTA kit, probably the FT-817 with 30w amp and the Super Antenna MP1 this time maybe rather than the normal SOTABeams Band Hopper IV.
Might be out later in the afternoon to take in the possibility of transatlantic contacts, so much will depend on the weather however.

Regards, Mark.

On Wed, 29 Sept 2021 at 11:37, Jacob Lindsey ( KN4YAV ) and Kayla Lindsey ( KO4DEG ) <jmlredtail@...> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I will be taking part in RaDAR this coming November. Operating out of East Tennessee, i will be backpacking kitted out for an emcomm situation. Ill be operating SSB 40m and 20m. Dipole antenna and the Tx500.

I was wanting to get a take on how many others will be operating this next go around, your mode of travel, and operating plans.

Thanks all

73s

Eddie Leighton

Hi guys,

I made a few notes on my Blog yesterday, the way I see RaDAR moving forward. Please see https://zs6bne.wordpress.com/2021/09/28/radar-a-new-radio-sport/

Comments are most welcome.

Kind regards and 73's

Eddie ZS6BNE

--

Jacob Lindsey ( KN4YAV ) and Kayla Lindsey ( KO4DEG )

Hm,

My only concern is that if RaDAR was only 2 hours (1400-1600) and based on local time that syncing up would'nt be as easy due to varying schedules at times. Also, the 24 hour aspect allows for more ways to do the challenge. Like backpacking for instance.

What would you think about two types of RaDAR. A short, few hours, deployment contest, and a 24 hour contest?

Just my thoughts

Jacob Lindsey
KN4YAV
73

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021, 08:20 Eddie Leighton <edleighton@...> wrote:
[...]

Ok cool man! Hope to hear you out there

73s

Thomas Robinson

Well I will give it a go.  Probably with the FT857D at 20W plus biggish, non-resonant vertical whip and autotuner.  I will be /PM on the salt marsh.

Things I'm quite happy with -
      The time - here it is 14:00 UTC to 16:00UTC, maybe OK for QSOs with N. America and Africa though an hour later would be better.
      Non use of motorised vehicles, though it might get a bit iffy if there is inclement weather.

Things I'm not too happy with
     The date.  I know it has always been then, but it is the weekend of the Ukranian DX contest.  Lets hope  17m is open.
    The new scheme seems to point more towards pre-arranged, relatively close QSOs rather than search and pounce or calling CQ

Any way, hope to give it a try.

Cheers All

Tom G0SBW

Thomas Robinson

I see the Ukranian DX contest finishes at 12:00UTC on Sunday.  So Sunday is the better day for me to do RaDAR :-)

Eddie Leighton

Hi Jacob,

No harm in your suggestions and thank you for them. I'm trying to find ways to get the general ham population excited about RaDAR. Certainly you guys in the USA have embraced the concept in its entirety.

I felt maybe the challenge was too long. Here in ZS the one hour sprints are becoming very popular and take place late afternoons mostly.

OK, I will take your suggestion to heart when writing the rules for years to come, a 24 hour challenge, a four hour challenge and the RaDAR sport , sprint. Three times a year. The RaDAR challenge having the usual methods of transport but the sport challenge, more a physical one .

Stay safe,

73 de Eddie ZS6BNE