Topics

Introductions

N5VMO Pat

Welcome to RaDAR Tom =)   Sounds like you are ready for the challenge coming up in April =)   Look forward to making contact =)

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 12:31 AM KC3TOM <tom.pghmtb@...> wrote:
Hi all,
This April's RaDAR challenge will be my first.  I've fallen in love with QRP operation.  While testing a shorter/lighter wire to use with my 49:1 endfed transformer I made contact with a station in California from my front yard here in Western PA with about a 33 ft sloper antenna up about 15 feet.  I do have pretty good elevation for the region I live in.  I was using some really thin SOTA beams wire.  I about got my gear all put together and plan on hitting a trail I know.  I'll be using my Yaesu FT-817nd, love that little guy.  I've been learning CW and start the CW academy next month.  I'm trying to get more members from my club involved.  I've never been one to let the weather stop me, some come rain or shine I plan on being out there.

Cheers,
Tom - KC3TOM about 30 miles SW of Pittsburgh PA.
_._,_._,_

--
73's Pat  N5VMO

KC3TOM

[...]

Bruce check out the YouTube videos of the RaDAR group has done over the years on their outings =)   Wires and Mini-loops are used by many here as to keep a lite weight and small pack out =)    Check out Eddies blog and Greg's blogs as others =)   Each has a different answer and work for them =)    I have yet to make a mini loop antenna and usually do wire dipoles, long wire and a vertical mounted on a camera tripod =)

DSCF1701.JPG

and  wires
DSCF1671.JPG

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 7:02 PM Bruce Hymon <Hymonb@...> wrote:
Bruce K8CJM
New to this group. Have not yet operated portable but I am considering a backpack station. I have watched some You Tube videos and have an idea on the equipment (plan FT981, Draws Workstation, LiFePo4 batteries) but I don’t know what will work for an antenna. Maybe we could have a section on what has worked well for other)

Thanks for the interesting group. 73, Bruce K8CJM Dayton, Ohio

--
73's Pat  N5VMO

Bruce Hymon

Bruce K8CJM
New to this group. Have not yet operated portable but I am considering a backpack station. I have watched some You Tube videos and have an idea on the equipment (plan FT981, Draws Workstation, LiFePo4 batteries) but I don’t know what will work for an antenna. Maybe we could have a section on what has worked well for other)

Thanks for the interesting group. 73, Bruce K8CJM Dayton, Ohio

N5VMO Pat

Glad to see you are interested in RaDAR; Mark and welcome to the group =)   You will see people from all over the world as members here and we all share the same fun of using our Ham radio outdoors or anywhere =)   Sounds like you have done the /MM before on your boat =)   RaDAR is a way of perfecting you gear and antennas for portable deployment at any time or anywhere =)   The most important thing is have fun outdoors and share your adventures =)

--
73's Pat  N5VMO

Mark Bumstead

Hi Everyone,
I am Mark, M0IAX. I heard about radar initially from Julian OH8STN when he was taking part in one of your challenges last year. And I found the group thanks to a post from Pat N5VMO in the JS8Call group.

This group and challenge sound quite interesting and I look forward to taking part at some point, I have a few portable/mobile station options which Im hoping to have the chance to use more often when it stops raining :-)

I'm going to be putting together a better antenna system to use Maritime Mobile in,my RIB as I really enjoy the challenge of operating from a small boat and have had success in the past but I know I can do better.

73
Mark
M0IAX

N5VMO Pat

Hello John and glad to have Rick in the group =)   Been debugging all day during the outing =)    About eight hours of radio time today and learned several things ...... MURPHY's LAW is still working :-)))     Everything worked great the last few days ..... but take it to the field .... well I can see everything /everyone and work no one :-)))

--
73's Pat  N5VMO

Rick Stoner

I am Rick KC3DRU.  I like doing digital modes but FT8.  My current favorite is JS8Call which combines the weak signal translation with chat modes like PSK31.  In the field, I'm using a uBitX kit and a Raspberry Pi to run the rig.  Located between Harrisburg and Gettysburg PA.

John VA3KOT

John, VA3KOT, EN93 near Orangeville, ON, Canada. Mainly a CW op but I have a microphone somewhere ... if I can find it. Have dabbled in digital but haven't found a mode I like yet - except maybe WSPR. Pleased to see RaDAR on groups.io. I spend most of the short Ontario summer operating outdoors and like to experiment with homebrew antennas.

Hsromaine@...

Hi - Hank AC1CG saying hello from Warren, Vermont USA.  I’m a new ham (spring 2017) and am excited about RaDAR and SOTA. Glad I logged in tonight and saw that this Saturday is the fall RaDAR challenge!  I have my KX-2 and a trail-friendly end-fed 40/20/10 ready to go in my pack...will do some reading and planning. Too much work getting in the way of radio time, will try to change that this weekend!

Paul

Paul here. Callsign is M6OPV (and more often than not P). New to Ham Radio but not to radio communications due to former career.

Eddie Leighton

I am Eddie, ZS6BNE. My favourite game is RaDAR – Rapid Deployment Amateur Radio, it is my focus and my thoughts on amateur radio revolve around it all the time. The RaDAR concept as we know it is almost a decade old. I like practicing RaDAR while on foot, moving and redeploying after every five contacts. It’s a challenge and it’s good.

N5VMO Pat

John this is a great resource for the HAM to learn themselves and the radio equipment you have capabilities =)    Do not get discouraged when you do not make contact 100% of the time =(   It is a learning yourself and your ways of using your rig / antennas / batteries / power source =)    The contest is you improving not the number of contacts and HAVING FUN OUTSIDE =)   Make outings FUN =)     Take pictures or videos if you like and let us all know what worked and what did not work and think through why it did not =)

Also the group will be moving over to GROUP.io  ( search RaDAR over there and join ) before G+ shuts down =)   Several have YouTube videos and BLOGS or WORDPRESS sites some post at =)    Look over the G+ site and make note of DOCs , LINKS, APPs, and the like to use a aids in outings as they will probably be moved over as well =)     WE HAVE FUN outside with radios =)

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 9:00 AM John Roy <johnroy71@...> wrote:
I am John. N4JRX. I am a pretty new ham. Looking forward to working bike-portable.

--
73's Pat  N5VMO

John Roy

I am John. N4JRX. I am a pretty new ham. Looking forward to working bike-portable.

Greg Lane

Please introduce yourself and include callsign/location. Thanks for your interest in RaDAR!