Re: Results - November RaDAR Challenge

N5VMO Pat

Very good picture of you outing Tom and really a good list of contacts =)     I was trying several new things out Saturday's RaDAR Challenge =)   I could hear many contacts to make but failure on the transmit side =(   I should have tried the SSB phone and had everything to do it with me .... just got bogged down solving problems and solutions on the setup =)

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 2:56 PM Thomas Robinson via Groups.Io <g0sbw=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rudely awakened at 4:45 am by the alarm clock, I reluctantly got out of bed and prepared myself for an eight o’clock start on the beach at Frinton-on-Sea JO01PU11AG.  Well I made it and was an operational pedestrian mobiler in the November RaDAR challenge just after 08:00 UTC.  Now for another four hours walking and, hopefully, talking (yes I am still SSB only).

Well I completed the four hour outing with 16 QSOs under my belt and 4.5 kilometres of beach under my feet.  Still then managed to drive the 100 miles to meet up with my family for a big fireworks party (its almost Nov. 5th - Guy Fawkes night).  But wow, I slept really well on Saturday night!

My gear for the RaDAR part of the day was the ever reliable KX3 with its 10W output, an ex-army whip antenna made of 4, screw together, sections totalling 5metres (16ft.) and dragged counterpoises  cut for 20m, 17m and 12m.  The KX3 internal tuner works well on these three bands and also manages to just tune on 40m - though performance on this band is a bit iffy.  The battery, held in the bottom of the back pack, is a 12 Ah LiFePO4 - probably more than ample for its usage  but reassuring; one cannot have too much capacity in a battery - provided it can be carried without too much stress.

I was not expecting a lot of DX and I did not get it.  But I did get two more countries for the /PM QRP log and managed to get into Asiatic Russia.

I particularly wanted to get a QSO with Paul M6OPV, a new member of the RaDAR group.  I did not manage it. He was operating at the wrong distance away from me for a 20m or 40m contact.  Normally a 40m contact would have been easy with a low height dipole but my short vertical was no good.  Still, we tried.

I had a failure during the outing.  I like to record the path I walk when out /PM.  The app I use for this is “Motion X - GPS” which I run on an old iPhone 4s.  Despite having it fully charged at the start of the day the battery died before I completed the four hour challenge period.  Consequently the path of the full walk was not recorded, but I got most of it.  Included in this post is the track as recorded. The point where the battery failed is where the straight line starts.  This line goes straight to my home address - the point where the phone was recharged and the app started recording again.  Clearly if i am to continue using the app on long excursions I need to power the phone with a power bank.

Also included in this post is the relevant page from my log and some photos taken during the walk.

--
73's Pat  N5VMO