Re: RaDAR operations November 6-7

Eddie Leighton

Hi Jacob,

No harm in your suggestions and thank you for them. I'm trying to find ways to get the general ham population excited about RaDAR. Certainly you guys in the USA have embraced the concept in its entirety.

I felt maybe the challenge was too long. Here in ZS the one hour sprints are becoming very popular and take place late afternoons mostly.

OK, I will take your suggestion to heart when writing the rules for years to come, a 24 hour challenge, a four hour challenge and the RaDAR sport , sprint. Three times a year. The RaDAR challenge having the usual methods of transport but the sport challenge, more a physical one .

Stay safe,

73 de Eddie ZS6BNE

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 4:40 PM Jacob Lindsey ( KN4YAV ) and Kayla Lindsey ( KO4DEG ) <jmlredtail@...> wrote:
Hm,

My only concern is that if RaDAR was only 2 hours (1400-1600) and based on local time that syncing up would'nt be as easy due to varying schedules at times. Also, the 24 hour aspect allows for more ways to do the challenge. Like backpacking for instance.

What would you think about two types of RaDAR. A short, few hours, deployment contest, and a 24 hour contest?

Just my thoughts

Jacob Lindsey
KN4YAV
73

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021, 08:20 Eddie Leighton <edleighton@...> wrote:
Hi guys,

I made a few notes on my Blog yesterday, the way I see RaDAR moving forward. Please see https://zs6bne.wordpress.com/2021/09/28/radar-a-new-radio-sport/

Comments are most welcome.

Kind regards and 73's

Eddie ZS6BNE

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 1:07 PM Mark Wickens <mark@...> wrote:
Morning

I hope to be out on November 7th, as 6th is the SOTA Transatlantic QSO party - admittedly good if you want quick contacts and have the SOTAWatch app but I would like to try and keep things separate.
I am planning a linear walk with my normal SOTA kit, probably the FT-817 with 30w amp and the Super Antenna MP1 this time maybe rather than the normal SOTABeams Band Hopper IV.
Might be out later in the afternoon to take in the possibility of transatlantic contacts, so much will depend on the weather however.

Regards, Mark.

On Wed, 29 Sept 2021 at 11:37, Jacob Lindsey ( KN4YAV ) and Kayla Lindsey ( KO4DEG ) <jmlredtail@...> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I will be taking part in RaDAR this coming November. Operating out of East Tennessee, i will be backpacking kitted out for an emcomm situation. Ill be operating SSB 40m and 20m. Dipole antenna and the Tx500.

I was wanting to get a take on how many others will be operating this next go around, your mode of travel, and operating plans.

Thanks all

73s