Topics

rtty vs ft8

Cort

I am going to throw my 2 cents out here about rtty/ft8 and will probably get roasted completely over it! I did not participate in the RU this year as my station will no longer be active in any contest HF or VHF where digi modes are mixed in with normal RTTY/CW/SSB modes. I also will not support financially any DX-pedition that favors ft8/4 over RTTY. If the digi boys want to have contests, that is fine and all good , but keep it to that mode. Nuff said; flame suit on! 73's Cort K4WI

Julio VE3FH

You are not alone Cort, I did not participate in this years RU for the very same reason.

I find it hard to swallow and rather laughable the argument that FT-whatever brings new blood to contesting, the way I see is the other way around by driving long-time once hard-core contesters away.

Happy New Year!

Julio VE3FH

On Monday, January 6, 2020, 9:53:34 a.m. EST, Cort <k4wi@...> wrote:

I am going to throw my 2 cents out here about rtty/ft8 and will probably get roasted completely over it! I did not participate in the RU this year as my station will no longer be active in any contest HF or VHF where digi modes are mixed in with normal RTTY/CW/SSB modes. I also will not support financially any DX-pedition that favors ft8/4 over RTTY. If the digi boys want to have contests, that is fine and all good , but keep it to that mode. Nuff said; flame suit on! 73's Cort K4WI

Jim N7US

I agree with Cort.  I’ve had almost 2000 FT8 (non-contest) contacts but stopped a couple months ago, and I didn’t get in last weekend’s RTTY Roundup.   FT8 is just not fun for me.

I was one entity shy of getting on the Digital Honor Roll and worked Monaco on FT8 because the Monaco stations don’t operate RTTY any more.  Monaco was my first digital contact other than RTTY that I’ve submitted for my RTTY (now Digital) DXCC, but I wasn’t happy about it.

I wish ARRL did what CQ did and create a separate Digital award and keep RTTY as it has been.

I like RTTY contesting very much, but I don’t want to participate in mixed-mode contests.  Speaking of RTTY contests, I’d like to participate in BARTG contests, but operating as N7US/9 is a pain because of having to use a separate LOTW certificate and use a different call in N1MM+.  The SuperCheckPartial file lists me as being in Zone 4, IL, and I don’t understand why BARTG can’t use that instead of requiring me to identify as N7US/9.

I’d probably be just as grumpy if I had slept well last night.  😉

Jim N7US

I am going to throw my 2 cents out here about rtty/ft8 and will probably get roasted completely over it! I did not participate in the RU this year as my station will no longer be active in any contest HF or VHF where digi modes are mixed in with normal RTTY/CW/SSB modes. I also will not support financially any DX-pedition that favors ft8/4 over RTTY. If the digi boys want to have contests, that is fine and all good , but keep it to that mode. Nuff said; flame suit on! 73's Cort K4WI

_._,_._,_

Jamie WW3S

You guys can still participate, just don’t use FT whatever.....I’d have to check my logs to be certain, but I think rtty participation is up since they added the ft modes. I’ve had some great runs and scores the last couple of years, despite band conditions....don’t let the naysayers get you down, get on and operate you may be surprised....

On Jan 6, 2020, at 10:04 AM, Julio VE3FH via Groups.Io <ve3fh@...> wrote:

[...]

Douglas Dever

I think this is short sighted. The FT8/FT4 rate isn’t near the RTTY QSO rate. (For a number of reasons - slower data transfer, chuckleheads QRMing everyone because they refuse to spread out, etc.). As a result I see a couple of things:

1) RTTY contesters are not spending a lot of time on FT. (But it’s a way to go get a couple points when you’re slow.)

2) FT fanboys are starting to play with RTTY because they are getting smoked in the scores.

This actually is a good thing for RTTY, not a bad thing.

-doug
73 de AB8M

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 9:53 AM Cort <k4wi@...> wrote:
I am going to throw my 2 cents out here about rtty/ft8 and will probably get roasted completely over it! I did not participate in the RU this year as my station will no longer be active in any contest HF or VHF where digi modes are mixed in with normal RTTY/CW/SSB modes. I also will not support financially any DX-pedition that favors ft8/4 over RTTY. If the digi boys want to have contests, that is fine and all good , but keep it to that mode. Nuff said; flame suit on! 73's Cort K4WI

W0MU

So you punished yourself. There was plenty of fun to be had on whatever mode.  Weird reason to not play in the contest.

On 1/6/2020 8:04 AM, Julio VE3FH via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

and according to the ARRL any FT/X contacts will put you in the assisted category.  That was certainly not made clear in the rules.

W0MU

On 1/6/2020 12:00 PM, Douglas Dever wrote:
[...]

John Barber

No mixed mode contests for me either. That’s why I dropped out of the RSGB data mode contests.

The Roundup has always seemed more like a stitch-up; the 30 hour period is so unfair to some parts of the world. 1 daylight period for some, 2 for others. OK, it’s a US contest J

Make it 24 hours or 48 hours … make it fair to all.

John GW4SKA / GW0A