Topics

No callsign in contest messages

Terry Zivney

I am not an experienced RTTY op (and did not
operate this past weekend).  My RTTY activity
started when I got an ICOM 7610 with built-in
RTTY. And, our local club station uses an ICOM
7300, which has even more basic RTTY capabilities.
I believe on the 7300, undoubtedly the most
popular new HF rig, that there is no keyboard
option like there is on the 7610. So, when we
make a RTTY QSO, it is with the canned messages,
which do not have the capability to send the
other stations callsign. It is great for making
a DX QSO one might not otherwise make, but not
for running in a contest.

I observe the non-contesting types in our local
club logging with paper and transferring to
a log later. I'll bet there are a lot of
"casual contesters" doing the same thing.

Terry N4TZ

Don Hill AA5AU

There's no reason you should be using the radio to send RTTY directly in a contest. You can use a free contest program like N1MM+ to interface to the radio and send/receive RTTY. You'll be glad you did. No need to log QSOs to paper.

You will, of course, need to interface the radio to a PC. For information on getting started on RTTY using N1MM+ and MMTTY, you can find some information here...

First, Getting Started on RTTY, will get you familiar with MMTTY (free).

https://www.aa5au.com/rtty/getting-started-on-rtty/

Then you can install N1MM+ (free) and interface it to MMTTY (and later 2Tone if you wish).

https://www.rttycontesting.com/tutorials/n1mm/plus/

Ask questions here. We are all willing to help.

73, Don AA5AU