Topics

ARRL RTTY RU

David AD4TJ

Some stations did not send a signal report as part of the exchange as the rules REQUIRE, not just suggested. Sigh. I guess I will still include them in my log.

Two Break Rule: who in the world thought that one up? Many people just operated as it is very hard to understand; even though there were some examples shown, it still remains a mystery as to how to handle it.

Pet Peeves:

1. Sometimes the other station does not include a call in their reply; to whom are they replying to if the call is not there?

2. Some stations only send their important info once, whether it is a State, Serial Number, whatever. If there is QRM, QRN, QSB, that info is not received. How hard is it to send it twice?

Ok. Flame suit on!

73, David AD4TJ

Rich VE3KI

No signal report? Agreed - refusing to log these guys to "teach them a lesson" after the fact won't work - they will never make the connection between their high NIL rate and the missing signal report in their sent exchange. Not logging them would be cutting off your nose to spite your face. If you really wanted to get the point across, you would have to refuse to complete the contact while it was still going on, i.e. keep on asking for repeats and maybe actually ask for a report before sending the final acknowledgment. Of course, that costs you time as well, but at least the message is clear.

Two break rule: Think of it this way. The primary rule is the 24-hour limit on operating time. What the two-break rule does is define what is or is not considered to be off time between your first and last QSOs. To me, there is nothing wrong with the idea that only two breaks should count towards your off time total of 6 hours, but IMHO it should be the two longest breaks that are counted, not the first two as stated in the rules. Consider this scenario:

You make one QSO at 1800Z Saturday. You are called away from the radio for some household matter, which takes just half an hour. Back to the radio at 1831Z, you make another QSO and get called away again, again for half an hour. Back again at 1902Z and finally away you go. Overnight you take a 12-hour break. By any rational standard, your total operating time can't be more than 18 hours (you took a 12-hour break out of the 30-hour total, after all). However, according the the "first two" rule, the two half-hour breaks you took early on, intentional or not, are the only ones counted as off time. The 12-hour break is considered to be operating time, and any contacts you made during the last 4 hours and 58 minutes of the contest are removed from your log because they came after 24 hours of "operating" time. Now, I don't know for sure whether the log scoring software would actually do that or not, but that is the way the published rules read ("...only the first two will be counted towards the 6 hours...").

I agree with your two pet peeves.

73,
Rich VE3KI