Topics

FT8 and FT4 sub bands?

Rich N1IXF

After the WAE contest this past weekend, I realized that I don't have a clue where the FT8 and FT4 operators congregate.

Are there preferred frequencies / sub-bands for these guys?  For example, I thought they centered their 40M activity around 7074 but found there were also conflicts around 7048/7049.  Felt like I stumbled into the SSTV frequency.

I would like to create an operating aid so I know where this mode has its watering holes on each of the contest bands.  I thought such a chart would exist but I couldn't find one with a quick search.

Thanks,
Rich N1IXF

Peter N5UWY

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 11:01 AM Rich N1IXF <n1ixf@...> wrote:

After the WAE contest this past weekend, I realized that I don't have a clue where the FT8 and FT4 operators congregate.

Are there preferred frequencies / sub-bands for these guys? For example, I thought they centered their 40M activity around 7074 but found there were also conflicts around 7048/7049. Felt like I stumbled into the SSTV frequency.

I would like to create an operating aid so I know where this mode has its watering holes on each of the contest bands. I thought such a chart would exist but I couldn't find one with a quick search.
I thought I'd just pull up K1JT's docs and point you to them ... but
they are not listed in the docs. I'm not near my radio PC else I'd
have screen-capped it (or dug up the file that holds same).

Took more googlage than I expected, but this looks right:

https://www.qsl.net/sv1grb/psk31.htm

This would be zero on the waterfall and most setups are about 3000 Hz
wide, so you could see traces as much as 3 kHz above these numbers. I
think I have that right.

Don Hill AA5AU

FT8 is typically on (not including WARC frequencies) 3573, 7074, 14074, 21074 and 28074 kHz.

FT4 is suppose to be a contesting mode but operators are using it outside of contests on 14080 and 7047 (I think) kHz.

During FT4/FT8 contests, the recommended frequencies in both the WW-Digi and FT Roundup are shown below with the . exception there are no 160 meter contacts allowed in the FT Roundup. Not sure what frequencies are used for the ARRL RTTY Roundup (refer to the ARRL website for that).

73, Don AA5AU

A. FT4 recommended sub-bands:
1.840-1.844
3.580-3.590
7.080-7.090
14.080-14.090
21.080-21.090
28.080-28.090

Set the radio dial at the bottom of the sub-band and work stations on audio frequencies within the radio passband, typically 2.5-4 kHz wide. If a sub-band becomes crowded, move the radio dial frequency up in 2 kHz increments, as needed. (For example: 7.080, 7.082, 7.084, 7.086 and 7.088)

B. FT8 recommended sub-bands:
1.844-1.848
3.590-3.600
7.090-7.100
14.090-14.100
21.090-21.100
28.090-28.100

Set the radio dial at the bottom of the sub-band and work stations on audio frequencies within the radio passband typically 2.5-4 kHz wide. If a sub-band becomes crowded, move the radio dial frequency up in 2 kHz increments, as needed. (For example: 7,090, 7.092, 7.094, 7.096 and 7.098)

C. JA sub-bands on 160, 80 and 40 meters:
FT4: 1.840-1.844 (non-JA) and 1.908 (JA) split
3.528 (JA-JA), 3.570 (JA-DX)
7.038 (JA-JA), 7.080-7.090 (JA-DX)

FT8: 1.844-1.848 (non-JA) and 1.908 (JA) split
3.531 (JA-JA), 3.573 (JA-DX)
7.041 (JA-JA), 7.090-7.100 (JA-DX)

On Thursday, November 14, 2019, 11:01:39 AM CST, Rich N1IXF <n1ixf@...> wrote:

After the WAE contest this past weekend, I realized that I don't have a clue where the FT8 and FT4 operators congregate.

Are there preferred frequencies / sub-bands for these guys?  For example, I thought they centered their 40M activity around 7074 but found there were also conflicts around 7048/7049.  Felt like I stumbled into the SSTV frequency.

I would like to create an operating aid so I know where this mode has its watering holes on each of the contest bands.  I thought such a chart would exist but I couldn't find one with a quick search.

Thanks,
Rich N1IXF

John Barber

The usual frequencies for FT8 come up as defaults in WSJT-X software, in the drop down frequency menu.

For FT4 try 3.575, 7.048, 10.140, 14.080, 18.104 and pray for sunspots if you go higher!

John GW4SKA

After the WAE contest this past weekend, I realized that I don't have a clue where the FT8 and FT4 operators congregate.

Are there preferred frequencies / sub-bands for these guys?  For example, I thought they centered their 40M activity around 7074 but found there were also conflicts around 7048/7049.  Felt like I stumbled into the SSTV frequency.

I would like to create an operating aid so I know where this mode has its watering holes on each of the contest bands.  I thought such a chart would exist but I couldn't find one with a quick search.

Thanks,
Rich N1IXF

Rich N1IXF

Thanks for input on this.

FWIW, I developed the following based on the info received.

RTTY Sub Bands

Band

Contest

Normal

JA

PSK31

Avoid

Beacon

FT8

FT4

80

3560-3600

3580-3600

3520-3575

3580

3573

3575

40

7025-7100

7025-7050

7080-7100

7030-7100

7070

7074

7047.5

20

14060-14150

14080-14100

14070-14150

14070

14100 ±.5

14074

14080

15

21060-21150

21080-21100

21070-21150

21070

21150 ±.5

21074

21140

10

28060-28150

28080-28100

28070-28200

28120

28200 ±.5

28074

28180

 73

Rich N1IXF

David Jaffe

Note that DXpedition will often pick some other frequency range. So the result is that FT8 can be anywhere

WD6T

--
K6DAJ
David