Topics

NS RTTY this Thursday

Ken K6MR

Greetings Diddlers:

Good group last week considering it was just after a Real Sprint. Welcome back to Dick, KS0M who has been under the weather for a bit.

I listened around an hour early and didn’t hear a thing! I’d like to think that’s because everyone is paying attention to these announcements, but….

I know this weekend is big for the microphone crowd, but if you’d like a bit of keyboard time please join us Thursday evening. And yes, don’t forget about the new local time in your area.

Friday, 24 Mar 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday 23 Mar 2017 in NA)
-- 1845 - 1915 PDT (which is 1 hour later)
-- 2145 - 2215 EDT (and this one too)
-- (others in-between those two)
-- 160: 1805 and up (Last two minutes seem to be popular…)
-- 80/40/20/15 +80kHz up from the band edge (check 20 at the start just in case)
-- Same band dupes ok after 1 intervening Q.
-- 1 kHz QSY rule, otherwise standard Sprint rules
-- Mults per band
-- 100W power limit

Please visit http://www.ncccsprint.com/rttyns.html for complete rules and links to other info. If you find any problems with the web pages, please let me know so we can get them fixed.

Report scores to 3830scores.com, and join us at 0300Z on 3610 kHz (+/- a few for ongoing groups) for comments and questions (and dinner menus).

Diddle diddle,

Ken K6MR

Ken K6MR

Greetings Diddlers:

Yep, it’s that time of the week already! Hope everyone had a great time this last weekend and have recovered their normal vocal abilities. Even if you are still in the recovery mode, no worries! No voice required for the weekly NS RTTY event.

Welcome to first-timer Bill, N4iQ who joined us last week with the SC multiplier. Bill has apparently joined the retired crowd and has taken up Sprinting. Welcome Bill! We’ll get you up to speed in no time. WD0T was also back with us after a notable absence. We all get the extra multiplier but Todd has yet to find another SD RTTY Sprinter ;^(

So if you’ve got 30 minutes free this Thursday evening, please join us at the (one hour later, 3rd and final warning) normal DST time.

Friday, 31 Mar 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday 30 Mar 2017 in NA)
[...]

Pleased to work several NSers this last weekend in the SSB Sprint. Always interesting to hear the voice behind the diddles!

We had two new stations last week: Daniel, AF6JO, and Bill, W6ST joined us for the first time. Welcome folks and hope to see you printing in the future. Jay, WB5K, and Jim, W5AP, were also back in the mix raising the overall mult totals.

If you found the phone Sprint interesting, please join us Thursday evening for a keyboard-centric version that’s also easy on the voice.

Friday, 7 Apr 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 6 Apr 2017 in NA)
[...]

Good group last week, with newcomer Tim, K8NWD jumping in. Welcome Tim! Also welcome back to repeat customers K2XA and K2AL who gave us a couple more rare mults for the evening.
Only one RTTY test I can see on the weekend, with only a few short time slots. If you need a tune-up for the weekend or just need a sprinting fix, please join us on Thursday.

Here are the details for our little ditty:
Friday, 14 Apr 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 13 Apr 2017 in NA)
[...]

Well according to 3830 the group looked a little thin last week. I only lasted 5 minutes due to a equipment failure, but everything is back together.
There are a couple of RTTY tests this weekend, including the always exciting BARTG 75. Always good to satisfy our need for speed!
Please join us Thursday evening and give your setup a test run and keep the electrons all warm and cozy.

Here are the details for our Thursday evening ditty:
Friday, 21 Apr 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 20 Apr 2017 in NA)
-- 1845 - 1915 PDT (no reminders, everyone is DST acclimated)
-- 2145 - 2215 EDT
-- (others in-between those two)
-- 160: 1805 and up (Last two minutes seem to be popular…)
-- 80/40/20/15 +80kHz up from the band edge (check 20 at the start just in case)
-- Same band dupes ok after 1 intervening Q.
-- 1 kHz QSY rule, otherwise standard Sprint rules
-- Mults per band
-- 100W power limit

Please visit http://www.ncccsprint.com/rttyns.html for complete rules and links to other info. If you find any problems with the web pages, please let me know so we can get them fixed.

Report scores to 3830scores.com, and join us at 0300Z on 3610 kHz (+/- a few for ongoing groups) for comments and questions (and dinner menus).

Diddle diddle,

Ken K6MR

Ken K6MR

Greetings Diddlers:

Quite the active group last week with high scores all around. Even WD0T was back from basement rehab work! The weekend BARTG 75 baud Sprint was a bit thin out west here but I see a few Midwest/east coast guys worked a few. Looks like the upcoming weekend has a Digital test on 10 meters (not going to hold my breath on that one), so this Thursday may be your only shot at a little RTTY activity.

So fire up the radios and join us for some keyboarding Qs.

Here are the details for our Thursday evening ditty:
Friday, 28 Apr 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 27 Apr 2017 in NA)
[...]

Good group last week. David, KC2WUF was our new station of the week. Welcome David, and we’ll look for you to improve your first score. I won the “Lid of the week” award for calling CQ on 160 with a disconnected receive antenna! NN7SS probably wore out his macro key trying to call me. Sorry, Burt. I promise to do better this week.

The upcoming weekend has a plethora of activity, including a few with RTTY modes. So fire up your setup and make sure everything is ready for the weekend.

Here are the details for our Thursday evening ditty:
Friday, 5 May 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 4 May 2017 in NA)
-- 1845 - 1915 PDT
-- 2145 - 2215 EDT
-- (others in-between those two)
-- 160: 1805 and up (Last two minutes seem to be popular…)
-- 80/40/20/15 +80kHz up from the band edge (check 20 at the start just in case)
-- Same band dupes ok after 1 intervening Q.
-- 1 kHz QSY rule, otherwise standard Sprint rules
-- Mults per band
-- 100W power limit

Please visit http://www.ncccsprint.com/rttyns.html for complete rules and links to other info. If you find any problems with the web pages, please let me know so we can get them fixed.

Report scores to 3830scores.com, and join us at 0300Z on 3610 kHz (+/- a few for ongoing groups) for comments and questions (and dinner menus).

Diddle diddle,

Ken K6MR

Ken K6MR

Greetings Diddlers:

Another good session last week. KC2WUF is getting in the Sprint groove, and NS RTTY founder N6ZFO was heard diddling away! I’ve been like WD0T recently (everyone but me gets my mult) so here’s hoping Bill keeps our Thursday evening rendezvous on a regular basis. Still lots of daylight at NS time so 160 and even 80 are not real good out west.

The CW guys reported some sporadic E on 10 and 15 was open in the Midwest, so it’s the time of the year to start checking those higher bands. I know our “rules” call for 160-15, but you all have permission to use whatever band(s) you like. This is practice, and making band change decisions are just part of the game. I’ve opened up the listing below to include 10 officially. What about 6 meters? Any activity on RTTY there? You VHF types could let me know if we should add 6 just for fun.

Here are the details for our Thursday evening ditty:
Friday, 12 May 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 11 May 2017 in NA)
-- 1845 - 1915 PDT
-- 2145 - 2215 EDT
-- (others in-between those two)
-- 160: 1805 and up (Last two minutes seem to be popular…)
-- 80/40/20/15/10 +80kHz up from the band edge (start checking those higher bands!)
-- Same band dupes ok after 1 intervening Q.
-- 1 kHz QSY rule, otherwise standard Sprint rules
-- Mults per band
-- 100W power limit

Please visit http://www.ncccsprint.com/rttyns.html for complete rules and links to other info. If you find any problems with the web pages, please let me know so we can get them fixed.

Report scores to 3830scores.com, and join us at 0300Z on 3610 kHz (+/- a few for ongoing groups) for comments and questions (and dinner menus).

Diddle diddle,

Ken K6MR

Ken K6MR

Greetings Diddlers:

We had 11 entries on the 3830 page last week, and there were a couple of active stations that did not report. The bands did not cooperate much, but 40 sounded like a RTTY RU weekend! I almost noted the “new” station N4EEV until my old brain realized it was Mike, WH6YH with a new moniker. The moon phase must have been right with many of our occasional attendees all active at once. Thanks to all, and hope to see you on a more regular basis.

We had a small discussion on the RTTY reflector regarding how to get new activity. Thanks to everyone that sent ideas and comments, and if you have any comments and ideas please pass them on.

Nothing big on the RTTY calendar for a while, so if you’d like a bit of keyboard time to keep you sharp please join us Thursday evening.

Here are the details for our Thursday evening ditty:
Friday, 19 May 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 18 May 2017 in NA)
[...]

Another great session last week. Our New Station of the Week was: Rich, AA2MF. Rich is just now getting active from his new FL QTH, so looks like we have a new multiplier! Rich has a fully equipped SO2R station so should be good for a few Qs. Also saw Claude, VE2FK in the mix after a long absence, with several other of our new stations in there also.

The upcoming weekend is definitely CW centric. The prefix hunters will be out in force, so if you are just ordinary you’ll need to borrow a call to make the weekend interesting.
For a Digital Sprint fix, please join us this Thursday evening.

And a quick reminder of the “dupe rule”: work the same station again after 1 Q with someone else on the same band, or any Q on a different band. I know it seems weird, but it sure beats sitting there pressing F1!

Here are the details for our Thursday evening ditty:
Friday, 26 May 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 25 May 2017 in NA)
[...]

Well, this week certainly is flying by. A bit late on the notice this week. We had a baker’s dozen reporting last week, including the sometimes seen Prince (a.k.a. Burt) from HH land stopping by. 15 is coming alive, though 80 was pretty empty.

Another quiet weekend in contest land. The “Digifest” advertises RTTY 75 baud, so maybe a chance for some quick Qs. Join us Thursday evening and get everything settled for the weekend.

Here are the details for our Thursday evening ditty:
Friday, 2 June 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 1 June 2017 in NA)
[...]

Another double digit turnout last week, with many of our newest stations becoming the regulars. Conditions are still iffy, though 15 managed a few Qs and 160 is good for some nearby Qs. The sun is still pretty high in the sky here in the west at NS time.

For those of you not getting into the VHF spirit this weekend, there is the DRCG rtty test to keep you busy. Please join us Thursday evening and give everything a quick test.

Here are the details for our Thursday evening ditty:
Friday, 9 June 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 8 June 2017 in NA)
[...]

Last week was a better than a baker’s dozen turnout week, and I know of at least one station that did not post to 3830. NG7Z was back in the mix, with a number of our newest participants putting up some great numbers. 80 and 160 are pretty much out of the mix for the west coast guys. I never heard N3QE on 80 which is almost unheard of But, 15 was alive, so I guess we’ll have to accept the trade off. 20 was definitely good, so don’t forget to check those higher bands with all the daylight we have at start time.

The upcoming weekend has the Ukrainian RTTY DX test on tap, with a few other popular cw tests thrown in for good measure (the Summer Stew and All Asian CW). So plenty to keep you busy. Please join us Thursday evening and give the rtty part of your station a quick test and also practice your Sprint skills.

Here are the details for our Thursday evening ditty:
Friday, 16 June 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 15 June 2017 in NA)
[...]

A good double digit group last week. Looks like we are into full summer conditions, with 15 providing some activity but 80 and 160 pretty poor. Even the CW NS folks are getting more rare on 160 every week.

The upcoming weekend is (obviously) reserved for those of you hearty enough to take on the outdoors as well as the marginal conditions. For those of you (us/me) in the west, it’s going to brutal (weather wise). 112 F at my place today, so I’m staying inside. Good luck to all who wish to visit the great outdoors. I’ll be sure to work you (sipping a cool one under the air conditioner…).

Meanwhile, if you’ve got a digital field day setup you need to test (or just want to do some Sprinting), please join us on Thursday evening and exercise those diddles. We always are eager to invite newcomers: just jump in and send s/n, name and state. Listen for a bit and you’ll get a idea of the “qsy rule”, which makes life interesting.

A special note from our NS CW brethren: For those of you who have always wanted to try CW Sprinting (but were intimidated by the speeds), this week’s Thursday CW NS is a 20 WPM evening. So here’s your chance to jump in and experience the Sprint Magic on that ‘other mode’. NS CW starts 15 minutes after the RTTY session ends (so 0230Z), and congregates around .040 on each band (160 at .015). Since you’ve already got things warmed up, just push the mode button and give it a try!

Here are the details for our usual Thursday evening session:
Friday, 23 June 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 22 June 2017 in NA)
-- 1845 - 1915 PDT
-- 2145 - 2215 EDT
-- (others in-between those two)
-- 160: 1805 and up (Not sure this will be productive)
-- 80/40/20/15/10 +80kHz up from the band edge (start checking those higher bands!)
-- Same band dupes ok after 1 intervening Q.
-- 1 kHz QSY rule, otherwise standard Sprint rules
-- Mults per band
-- 100W power limit

Please visit http://www.ncccsprint.com/rttyns.html for complete rules and links to other info. If you find any problems with the web pages, please let me know so we can get them fixed.

Report scores to 3830scores.com, and join us at 0300Z on 3610 kHz (+/- a few for ongoing groups) for comments and questions (and dinner menus).

Diddle diddle,

Ken K6MR

Ken K6MR

Greetings Diddlers:

A few of our regulars were missing last week, no doubt due to weekend preparations. Hope everyone survived the great outdoors over the weekend and are back into their regular routine.

The upcoming weekend has the DL-DX RTTY test, so if you disassembled your station for Field Day and need a check up, please join us Thursday evening and make sure your diddle machine is still working!

Here are the details for our usual Thursday evening session:
Friday, 30 June 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 29 June 2017 in NA)
[...]

Hope everyone had a fun and restful 4th, but it’s time to get back to the ether.

Almost a dozen stations reported last week, so things are getting back to normal. The upcoming weekend looks to be cw/phone centric with the IARU HF Test on tap, but the following weekend is NAQP RTTY. Time to start planning for a full day of digital fun, which should include joining us Thursday evening and giving your digital station a checkout!

Here are the details for our usual Thursday evening session:
Friday, 7 July 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 6 July 2017 in NA)
[...]

A good RTTY weekend coming up with the NAQP and the DMC RTTY tests for your enjoyment.

Some of you may have seen/heard of a new live score service that is up and running (contestonlinescore.com). VA2WA has offered to set up the NS RTTY on the site for our use each week, so I need some feedback. Online score tracking seems to be catching on, so what do you think? Would we like to try this out? It’s a good chance to get used to using such a service and integrate it into your operating. Let me know when you get a chance and I’ll follow up with Victor.

Meanwhile don’t forget that there will be extra NAQP practice sessions Thursday evening (0000 UTC) before the NS session, and also Friday evening. So plenty of chances to check things out before the weekend.

Here are the details for our usual Thursday evening session:
Friday, 14 July 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 13 July 2017 in NA)
[...]

Well we had quite the turnout last week. 17 stations reporting on 3830, with new stations N6AJS, AI6JB, and KC4HW jumping into the mix. The stars must have been aligned, with several of our old time regulars back at it including WD0T back from home improvement duty and KB1RI, WQ5L, and K3PP back for more. Welcome all and we hope to see you in the future.

Last week was our first with the availability of the live scoreboard (contestonlinescore.com), but there were a few glitches. N1MM+ logger had a small problem with mode reporting so many stations were posting to the NS CW scoreboard. Also, some stations were reporting as (A) even with Single OP selected. Those problems should be fixed, so if you had issues last week (or did not try to use the scoreboard) give it a try this week. A few of us managed to post some scores so let’s see how many we can put up there this week.

The upcoming weekend looks to be pretty quiet, although if you are an IOTA hunter you’ll likely want to be on the lookout for some special stations. But if you need a RTTY fix for the week, please join us and keep those diddles in tune!

Here are the details for our usual Thursday evening session:
Friday, 28 July 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 27 July 2017 in NA)
-- 1845 - 1915 PDT
-- 2145 - 2215 EDT
-- (others in-between those two)
-- 160: 1805 and up (Not sure this will be productive)
-- 80/40/20/15/10 +80kHz up from the band edge (start checking those higher bands!)
-- Same band dupes ok after 1 intervening Q.
-- 1 kHz QSY rule, otherwise standard Sprint rules
-- Mults per band
-- 100W power limit

Please visit http://www.ncccsprint.com/rttyns.html for complete rules and links to other info. If you find any problems with the web pages, please let me know so we can get them fixed.
As noted above, give the live scoreboard a try at contestonlinescore.com, and select the NCCC NA CW SPRINT to display the scores. The Help menu pulldown will give you the info needed to setup the most common logging programs.
Don’t forget to report your score to 3830scores.com, and join us at 0300Z on 3610 kHz (+/- a few for ongoing groups) for comments and questions (and dinner menus).

Diddle diddle,

Ken K6MR

Ken K6MR

Greetings Diddlers:

An even dozen diddlers last week, a good turnout any time. Low band conditions are still not too good, but 40 sounded more like a Saturday evening than a Thursday. 15 has been productive during the CW NS, but signals are likely still a little too puny for RTTY. But don’t forget to take a quick listen at the start and see what might pop up.
I was a bit premature about the live score problem with N1MM logger. Messages have been flying regarding how to fix the reporting problem, so standby for a fix. We had a few stations connected so it is working, hopefully all you N1MM users will be connected soon. Writelog and DXLog are working fine so far.
The weekend (at least Saturday) has the NAQP CW as top billing, so to keep those diddles in tune please join us Thursday evening.
Here are the details for our usual Thursday evening session:
Friday, 4 Aug 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 3 Aug 2017 in NA)

As noted above, give the live scoreboard a try at contestonlinescore.com, and select the NCCC NA RTTY SPRINT to display the scores. The Help menu pulldown will give you the info needed to setup the most common logging programs.
Don’t forget to report your score to 3830scores.com, and join us at 0300Z on 3610 kHz (+/- a few for ongoing groups) for comments and questions (and dinner menus).

Diddle diddle,

Ken K6MR

Ken K6MR

Greetings Diddlers:

Almost a dozen stations reporting last week, good show! 40 was definitely hopping, 20 hung in there for a while, and even 15 is showing promise with several stations active. As the days get shorter we may lose 15 but hopefully 80 will improve (maybe even a few on 160).

Had a few more live scores on contestonlinescore.com. The N1MM+ fix has been officially released, so be sure to select the new NSRTTYDUPE contest so you can post your live score. That should cover the most popular loggers, but if anyone is having a problem be sure to let us know.

Doesn’t look like there is any RTTY activity this weekend, so please join us Thursday evening and keep everything tuned up. The MDC QSO party does have a digital mode so that might be your best bet.

Here are the details for our usual Thursday evening session:
Friday, 11 Aug 2017, 0145Z - 0215Z (Thursday, 10 Aug 2017 in NA)

For something new (and exciting?), give the live scoreboard a try at contestonlinescore.com. Set up your logger to report and select the NCCC NA RTTY SPRINT on the web page to display the scores. The Help menu pulldown will give you the info needed to setup the most common logging programs.