Re: Ron Stailey K5DJ - Silent Key

Nicholas Roy Smith

Me too Don, It's a sad Thanksgiving to hear about my friend Ron, he taught me just about all I know for RTTY contesting. He used to tell me when he would be at Bryan's station, "nick just keep up where I am and get next to me and you will get all the over flow". I did just that and improved my score several times.

Ron rest in peace.

Nick, w4gkm

On 11/28/2019 9:53 AM, Don Hill AA5AU wrote:

Sure hate to hear this sad news. On this Thanksgiving Day, I'm thankful I got to know Big Ron. He taught be a lot about RTTY contesting and introduced me to WriteLog.

One contest we operated together was the 2000 BARTG RTTY Contest. We set a record that still stands today. I remember having a big run into Europe in the morning on 10 meters and thinking I was seeing a few JA calls in the pileup as well. I thought I was hallucinating. I said to Ron "I think I'm seeing JAs". He said "Yeah, turn the top antenna southeast and work the JAs longpath." I had never worked JAs longpath before on any band, let alone ten meters. But there they were. Operating contests with Ron was a real treat. Here's a synopsis of that 2000 BARTG contest with Ron (with pictures).

https://www.aa5au.com/rtty/articles/2000-bartg-hf-rtty-contest/

RIP my friend.

Don AA5AU