Re: BARTG 75 Baud contest

Ken K6MR

Thanks John.  I’ve read about the early days but I can’t say I would miss them.  Keeping those machines running must have been a full time job.

Ken K6MR

From: John Barber <john@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2019 5:36:51 AM
To: 'Ken K6MR'; ko7ss@...; RTTY@groups.io
Cc: RTTY@groups.io
Subject: RE: [RTTY] BARTG 75 Baud contest

There is a trade-off between speed and decoding performance. 75 baud is fine with good signals but not so good as 45.45 baud in poor conditions.

Why 45.45 baud? Because the commercial machines in the US were 45.45 baud; in Europe they were 50 baud. 45 baud was adopted for amateur use because the US amateurs were using RTTY first and there were more of them! We converted our 50 baud machines to 45 baud with a change of gears.

John GW4SKA