Re: BARTG 75 Baud contest

Ken K6MR

Thanks John.  I’ve read about the early days but I can’t say I would miss them.  Keeping those machines running must have been a full time job.

Ken K6MR

Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2019 5:36:51 AM
To: 'Ken K6MR'; ko7ss@...; RTTY@groups.io
Cc: RTTY@groups.io
Subject: RE: [RTTY] BARTG 75 Baud contest

There is a trade-off between speed and decoding performance. 75 baud is fine with good signals but not so good as 45.45 baud in poor conditions.

Why 45.45 baud? Because the commercial machines in the US were 45.45 baud; in Europe they were 50 baud. 45 baud was adopted for amateur use because the US amateurs were using RTTY first and there were more of them! We converted our 50 baud machines to 45 baud with a change of gears.

John GW4SKA

From: RTTY@groups.io <RTTY@groups.io> On Behalf Of Ken K6MR
Sent: 25 April 2019 04:00
To: ko7ss@...; RTTY@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RTTY] BARTG 75 Baud contest

From your lips to whoever sets the standards  :^)   75 baud is a blast. 

My guess on why is that back in the day of green keys and oil, changing speeds was pretty difficult as I understand it.  I wasn’t there.  45.45 must have been the way the machines came from the military and Telex companies.  Perhaps someone who was there could elaborate.  But now it’s a couple of check boxes. 

I’ve toyed with the idea of changing speeds for the Thursday night NS RTTY Sprints, but I’m not quite there.  No matter how well you publicize it there will be some who won’t get the message.  So for now we’ve got this tantalizing four hours to watch the characters fly!

Ken K6MR

From: RTTY@groups.io <RTTY@groups.io> on behalf of Bill KO7SS via Groups.Io <ko7ss@...>
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2019 7:20:12 PM
To: RTTY@groups.io
Subject: [RTTY] BARTG 75 Baud contest

First time to try this. Setting up N1MM, the sent characters sure move fast across the text window.
Hopefully I am getting out, the RBN RTTY skimmers don't seem to decode this. Why is 75 Baud 
not the standard rate?

73, Bill KO7SS

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join RTTY@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.