Topics

Railspot Rarity #7

Dennis Hogan

The Texas Central RR was once projected to extend from Albany TX to Las Vegas NM and
from Waco to New Orleans.

[ORG 1893]

Jerry Storrs

Pretty ambitious undertaking.

SPfan

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020, 8:06 AM Dennis Hogan <denmeg_hogan@...> wrote:
The Texas Central RR was once projected to extend from Albany TX to Las Vegas NM and
from Waco to New Orleans.

[ORG 1893]

jdyer000

The Texas Central ran through our ranch between Cisco and Moran. The Pueblo siding area became the HQ for "Cul" Dyer's ranch and Pueblo eventually grew to have a post office, general store, gas station, depot, Baptist church, etc. A second siding was eventually built with a gasoline loading rack to accommodate Lone Star Gas Company's Pueblo Gasoline Plant  which was also on the ranch. As a kid, I rode the "Doodlebug" with my Grandmother Dyer from Pueblo to Moran every Saturday. EVERYBODY went to town on Saturday. 😀

One other "Priceless Bit of Useless Information " is that I  have the original(?) Texas Central  plat of Pueblo, Texas with streets, lot numbers and the location of the ROUNDHOUSE!  You could purchase prime real estate at the northern terminus of the gateway to whatever! 😀

The signs of the Texas Central, the Katy and even Pueblo are long gone except for the few of us who are able to associate the near invisible artifacts with our memory of what once was.

--
Sent from myMail for Android

Tom Roise

Amazing how a gas plant just disappears.

Tom Roise

On Oct 15, 2020, at 10:41 AM, jdyer000 <john@...> wrote:

[...]

The facility is still in existence but like all things related to Lone Star Gas Company,  it has been sold, resold, resold again, erc. I don't even remember who owns it now or what it called. They quit using the railroad loading racks and abandoned their pipeline across the ranch long before the Katy pulled out. I assume the salvagers stripped the old loading racks when the line was salvaged. Walked the area a few years ago and, without knowing of its existence, there were hardly any signs.The plant is strictly a remotely operated compressor station today.

John

--
Sent from myMail for Android

Thursday, 15 October 2020, 10:49AM -05:00 from Tom Roise tomroise@...:

[...]

texaszephyr

I need photos of the Katy doodlebug on the old Tin Can.

TZ

On Oct 15, 2020, at 10:41 AM, jdyer000 wrote:

[...]

Steve
I have a photo in my file of what I think was the last bright and shiny Doodlebug to run on the Tin Can but the photo's location was the Waco yard.. It wasn't exactly as I remember it but this 10 year-old farm boy was more interested in going to town and buying an ice cream cone with his grandmother's nickel than he was railroad iron.

Somewhere I ran across a photo of one of the earlier Doodlebugs and the poster claimed that the location was Moran. Obviously before my time but nothing matched and I moved on.

John

--
Sent from myMail for Android

Thursday, 15 October 2020, 11:20AM -05:00 from texaszephyr texaszephyr@...:

[...]

Earl Needham

I went to visit South Texas a bit over a year ago.  Moved away in 1977 and rarely go back.

Two gas plants and the biggest dance hall in town were gone.  Just absolutely disappeared.  I could actually point to the place one used to be and there was nothing but brush now.

Occasionally when I'm "out and about" in the middle of nowhere I'll run across something to indicate a railroad used to be there.  Rarely can I figure out what railroad was there and why.

Mysteries...

Earl
Clovis

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020, 9:48 AM Tom Roise via groups.io <tomroise=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Amazing how a gas plant just disappears.

Tom Roise

Dennis Hogan

Edited

Maps from 1899 to 1903 indicate the projected eastward extension of the TC was aimed at
Beaumont and Sabine Pass instead of New Orleans. By 1906 no extensions were projected
on the published TC maps.