Topics

Railspot Rarity #11

Dennis Hogan

Shreveport & Red River Railway operated 82.9 miles from Shreveport to
Machen with 5 additional miles under construction. Coushatta was a station.
I'm guessing that is in a southeast direction from Shreveport.   Anyone know
for sure?

[ORG 1901]
Now you know.

Tom Roise

That is correct. On the east side of the river.

Tom Roise

On Oct 18, 2020, at 8:15 AM, Dennis Hogan <denmeg_hogan@...> wrote:

Shreveport & Red River Railway operated 82.9 miles from Shreveport to
Machen with 5 additional miles under construction. Coushatta was a station.
I'm guessing that is in a southeast direction from Shreveport.   Anyone know
for sure?

[ORG 1901]
Now you know.

Gerald Hook

Here’s a “snip” from in the 1903 Rand-McNally Louisiana Railroad Map in my personal collection.

Shreveport & Red River Railway is #69 (tough to see).   It later became the Louisiana Railway & Navigation and is today’s KCS route from Shreveport to New Orleans.  The portion from Red River Parish and Ascension Parish was my territory when I was KCS Sales Manager in Baton Rouge, 1986-98.

Thanks, Dennis, for helping me bring back the memories.

Gerald Hook – Russellville, AR

Shreveport & Red River Railway operated 82.9 miles from Shreveport to
Machen with 5 additional miles under construction. Coushatta was a station.
I'm guessing that is in a southeast direction from Shreveport.   Anyone know
for sure?

[ORG 1901]
Now you know.

Barton Jennings

Gerald....and others....
Here is a very brief history of the line from a project I have planned for the future....

From Pineville Junction to Alexandria Junction, the Rock Island had trackage rights to use the Louisiana Railway & Navigation Company, a distance that the Interstate Commerce Commission stated was 2.69 miles in length. The Louisiana Railway & Navigation Company (LR&N) was a project of German-born William Edenborn. Edenborn had invented the most successful method at the time to manufacture barbed wire, reducing its price more than five-fold and capturing 75% of the American market. He sold out to J. P. Morgan for $90 million and moved to Winn Parish in Louisiana, experimenting with farming and second-growth timber. On July 23, 1897, he incorporated the Shreveport & Red River Valley Railway Company, which according to the Interstate Commerce Commission, completed a “railroad extending from Shreveport, via Alexandria including the bridge over the Red River at that point, to Mansura, about 152 miles; a partially constructed main line from Mansura, southeasterly, toward New Orleans, about 71 miles; and a partially constructed branch line from Aloha to Winnfield, about 27 miles, together with certain spur and other tracks.”

On June 22, 1903, the railroad was sold to the Louisiana Railway & Navigation Company, also controlled by Edenborn. The Louisiana Central Construction Company was created to complete the railroad to New Orleans, done by December 1906. However, the line did use car-ferry barges owned and operated by the Angola Transfer Company to cross the Mississippi River between Angola and Naples.

William Edenborn had social and business connections with many of the industry leaders in the Arkansas and Louisiana area, and was a business partner with William Buchanan and Harvey C. Couch in the Louisiana & Arkansas Railway. While the two railroads were once competitors, in May 1929, the Louisiana & Arkansas took control of the Louisiana Railway & Navigation Company. During the late 1930s, Harvey Couch also gained control of the Kansas City Southern. He decided to merge all of these railroads and operate them under the Kansas City Southern corporation.

Bart Jennings

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 7:08 AM Gerald Hook <gah333br@...> wrote:

Here’s a “snip” from in the 1903 Rand-McNally Louisiana Railroad Map in my personal collection.

Shreveport & Red River Railway is #69 (tough to see).   It later became the Louisiana Railway & Navigation and is today’s KCS route from Shreveport to New Orleans.  The portion from Red River Parish and Ascension Parish was my territory when I was KCS Sales Manager in Baton Rouge, 1986-98.

Thanks, Dennis, for helping me bring back the memories.

Gerald Hook – Russellville, AR

Shreveport & Red River Railway operated 82.9 miles from Shreveport to
Machen with 5 additional miles under construction. Coushatta was a station.
I'm guessing that is in a southeast direction from Shreveport.   Anyone know
for sure?

[ORG 1901]
Now you know.

Tom Roise

Fascinating story.

How one man takes his millions and employs others with his passions...

Tom Roise

On Oct 21, 2020, at 9:30 AM, Barton Jennings <be.jennings3009@...> wrote:

Gerald....and others....
Here is a very brief history of the line from a project I have planned for the future....

From Pineville Junction to Alexandria Junction, the Rock Island had trackage rights to use the Louisiana Railway & Navigation Company, a distance that the Interstate Commerce Commission stated was 2.69 miles in length. The Louisiana Railway & Navigation Company (LR&N) was a project of German-born William Edenborn. Edenborn had invented the most successful method at the time to manufacture barbed wire, reducing its price more than five-fold and capturing 75% of the American market. He sold out to J. P. Morgan for $90 million and moved to Winn Parish in Louisiana, experimenting with farming and second-growth timber. On July 23, 1897, he incorporated the Shreveport & Red River Valley Railway Company, which according to the Interstate Commerce Commission, completed a “railroad extending from Shreveport, via Alexandria including the bridge over the Red River at that point, to Mansura, about 152 miles; a partially constructed main line from Mansura, southeasterly, toward New Orleans, about 71 miles; and a partially constructed branch line from Aloha to Winnfield, about 27 miles, together with certain spur and other tracks.”

[...]

<image001.jpg>