Topics

Amtrak Express moves

Steve Grabman

Back in the late 90’s when Amtrak was going full bore with their express business I recalled hearing about them running a deadhead move of boxcars from Fort Worth to the west coast via the FW&D. Can anybody recall the symbol and frequency of these trains?

Steve Grabman

Robert Hall

I remember a weekly move over T&P from FTW to BNSF @Sweetwater to keep trackage rights.  I don't recall a FW&D move but I won't say it didn't happen

texaszephyr

I think I may have seen one such move back in the 1990s.

TZ

On Oct 15, 2020, at 10:01 AM, Robert Hall via groups.io wrote:

I remember a weekly move over T&P from FTW to BNSF @Sweetwater to keep trackage rights.  I don't recall a FW&D move but I won't say it didn't happen

Steve Grabman

I know they were infrequent like once a month if that.  I know the trains that ran from Fort Worth to Chicago via OKC we’re operated frequently enough that when the Heartland Flyer started in June, 1999, Amtrak already had crews qualified on the territory.  I think those trains ran weekly.

The thing that sucked is most of these trains left Fort Worth at night or early in the morning so not many shots exist of these.

Steve Grabman

On Oct 15, 2020, at 11:20 AM, texaszephyr <texaszephyr@...> wrote:

I think I may have seen one such move back in the 1990s.

TZ

On Oct 15, 2020, at 10:01 AM, Robert Hall via groups.io wrote:

I remember a weekly move over T&P from FTW to BNSF @Sweetwater to keep trackage rights.  I don't recall a FW&D move but I won't say it didn't happen

David H. Gaines

I thought I saw at least one in Wichita Falls, so I’ve went digging through my videos and found some I shot on 26 March 1998 of Amtrak 61 & 43 [A951 (25)], with 30 of Amtrak’s boxcars (all three paint schemes), pausing for a crew change and then westbound leaving town. I think the destination was Albuquerque, but am not absolutely sure.

dhg

~~~~~~~~~~

DAVID H. GAINES – N5DHG

Wichita Falls, Texas

n5dhgsps@...

Sent from my Dell Inspiron 3647

Robert Hall

Seems like the FTW-CHI trains departed FTW @0001 every Monday morning; The FTW-LAX trains like once every 4-6 weeks

texaszephyr

I think your right. Didn’t you call me and tell me it was heading to WF?

TZ

On Oct 15, 2020, at 7:30 PM, David H. Gaines <n5dhgsps@...> wrote:

I thought I saw at least one in Wichita Falls, so I’ve went digging through my videos and found some I shot on 26 March 1998 of Amtrak 61 & 43 [A951 (25)], with 30 of Amtrak’s boxcars (all three paint schemes), pausing for a crew change and then westbound leaving town. I think the destination was Albuquerque, but am not absolutely sure.

dhg

~~~~~~~~~~

DAVID H. GAINES – N5DHG

Wichita Falls, Texas

n5dhgsps@...

Sent from my Dell Inspiron 3647

David H. Gaines

Yep, I think I probably did give you a call.

dhg
DAVID H. GAINES - N5DHG
Wichita Falls, Texas