Nacodoches loco

texaszephyr

There is a new video posted on YouTube by Neil Dahl that shows workers slicing through its drive shafts with cutting blades as they prepare to move the shay from Stephen F. Austin University to Michigan.

Talking about adding insult to injury!!!

Amazing !!!!

Tom Roise

On Oct 12, 2021, at 9:58 AM, texaszephyr <texaszephyr@sw.rr.com> wrote:

There is a new video posted on YouTube by Neil Dahl that shows workers slicing through its drive shafts with cutting blades as they prepare to move the shay from Stephen F. Austin University to Michigan.

Talking about adding insult to injury!!!

TZ

Everett Lueck

The rear truck had to be removed to fit on the trailer that hauled the locomotive.  I was not there, but it appears that the U joints and the slip joint were both frozen.which prevented the removal of the rear truck.  That is hardly surpising considering the lengh of time that the engine has sat there without being moved or lubricated.   Cutting the drive shaft to remove it is preferable to cutting the U joint or the slip joint and where it is being cut leaves plenty of room to re weld it (which was often done with shays) and even sleeve it (also done) if necessary.

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 09:58:33 AM CDT, texaszephyr <texaszephyr@...> wrote:

There is a new video posted on YouTube by Neil Dahl that shows workers slicing through its drive shafts with cutting blades as they prepare to move the shay from Stephen F. Austin University to Michigan.

Talking about adding insult to injury!!!

TZ

Everett Lueck

Reference to the photos taken on moving day shows that the rear portion of the drive shaft was slipped out of the slip joint, so only a single cut was made.

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 10:11:03 AM CDT, Tom Roise via groups.io <tomroise@...> wrote:

Amazing !!!!

Tom Roise

> On Oct 12, 2021, at 9:58 AM, texaszephyr <texaszephyr@...> wrote:
>
> There is a new video posted on YouTube by Neil Dahl that shows workers slicing through its drive shafts with cutting blades as they prepare to move the shay from Stephen F. Austin University to Michigan.
>
> Talking about adding insult to injury!!!
>
> TZ

Everett Lueck

Moving day photos of the shay

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 10:11:03 AM CDT, Tom Roise via groups.io <tomroise@...> wrote:

Amazing !!!!

Tom Roise

> On Oct 12, 2021, at 9:58 AM, texaszephyr <texaszephyr@...> wrote:
>
> There is a new video posted on YouTube by Neil Dahl that shows workers slicing through its drive shafts with cutting blades as they prepare to move the shay from Stephen F. Austin University to Michigan.
>
> Talking about adding insult to injury!!!
>
> TZ

Mike Murray

This shows them using a cutting torch on the drive shaft.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lViQ6N3u978

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:10 AM Tom Roise via groups.io <tomroise=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Amazing !!!!

Tom Roise

> On Oct 12, 2021, at 9:58 AM, texaszephyr <texaszephyr@...> wrote:
>
> There is a new video posted on YouTube by Neil Dahl that shows workers slicing through its drive shafts with cutting blades as they prepare to move the shay from Stephen F. Austin University to Michigan.
>
> Talking about adding insult to injury!!!
>
> TZ

Everett Lueck

Not a cutting torch.  A metal cutting disc, to get a smooth cut.  As I explained earlier,  the u joints were frozen and the rear truck had to be removed to transport the loco.

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 12:28:57 PM CDT, Mike Murray <mikemurray6044@...> wrote:

This shows them using a cutting torch on the drive shaft.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lViQ6N3u978

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:10 AM Tom Roise via groups.io <tomroise=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Amazing !!!!

Tom Roise

> On Oct 12, 2021, at 9:58 AM, texaszephyr <texaszephyr@...> wrote:
>
> There is a new video posted on YouTube by Neil Dahl that shows workers slicing through its drive shafts with cutting blades as they prepare to move the shay from Stephen F. Austin University to Michigan.
>
> Talking about adding insult to injury!!!
>
> TZ

Bill Nash

Looks like a cutting disk to me. Also, no hoses for a torch.

On Oct 12, 2021, at 2:37 PM, Everett Lueck <elueck@...> wrote:

This shows them using a cutting torch on the drive shaft.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lViQ6N3u978

Stephen McNeill

It looks to me like it is a cutting wheel on a grinder type machine, not an acetylene torch that is doing the cutting.  it would make for a cleaner cut.

Stephen L. McNeill

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 12:28:56 PM CDT, Mike Murray <mikemurray6044@...> wrote:

This shows them using a cutting torch on the drive shaft.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lViQ6N3u978

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:10 AM Tom Roise via groups.io <tomroise=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Amazing !!!!

Tom Roise

> On Oct 12, 2021, at 9:58 AM, texaszephyr <texaszephyr@...> wrote:
>
> There is a new video posted on YouTube by Neil Dahl that shows workers slicing through its drive shafts with cutting blades as they prepare to move the shay from Stephen F. Austin University to Michigan.
>
> Talking about adding insult to injury!!!
>
> TZ

D. Howard Bingham

And what was the "Lame-Brained" reason for cutting a part that's no longer made.?

Can't be due to the length, any Low Boy 4 Axle Float trailer should have been able to haul this with minimal effort,

I know several trucking & moving companies that have handled MUCH LARGER and heavier loads in both USA and Canada.

D. Howard Bingham

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On 10/12/2021 12:28 PM, Mike Murray wrote:
This shows them using a cutting torch on the drive shaft.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lViQ6N3u978

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:10 AM Tom Roise via groups.io <tomroise=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Amazing !!!!

Tom Roise

> On Oct 12, 2021, at 9:58 AM, texaszephyr <texaszephyr@...> wrote:
>
> There is a new video posted on YouTube by Neil Dahl that shows workers slicing through its drive shafts with cutting blades as they prepare to move the shay from Stephen F. Austin University to Michigan.
>
> Talking about adding insult to injury!!!
>
> TZ

D. Howard Bingham

Why did the rear truck need removing, the entire length of that SMALL locomotive would have easily fit on any Low Boy Float trailer with ROOM TO SPARE.

I've see Caterpiller Earth Moving Equipment longer & wider than this locomotive being moved & only problem was "WIDTH"

D. Howard Bingham

--

On 10/12/2021 2:37 PM, Everett Lueck wrote:
Not a cutting torch.  A metal cutting disc, to get a smooth cut.  As I explained earlier,  the u joints were frozen and the rear truck had to be removed to transport the loco.

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 12:28:57 PM CDT, Mike Murray <mikemurray6044@...> wrote:

This shows them using a cutting torch on the drive shaft.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lViQ6N3u978

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:10 AM Tom Roise via groups.io <tomroise=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Amazing !!!!

Tom Roise

> On Oct 12, 2021, at 9:58 AM, texaszephyr <texaszephyr@...> wrote:
>
> There is a new video posted on YouTube by Neil Dahl that shows workers slicing through its drive shafts with cutting blades as they prepare to move the shay from Stephen F. Austin University to Michigan.
>
> Talking about adding insult to injury!!!
>
> TZ

Everett Lueck

You can move anything if you are willing to pay the price!

If you work on a limited budget, you do things the most cost effective way.

There is another locomotive move coming down next week and I have seen the original bids for both of these moves, and my guess is that this procedure saved a substantial amount of money that could be put toward the restoration, rather than the move.

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 07:37:16 PM CDT, D. Howard Bingham <ke5apj@...> wrote:

Why did the rear truck need removing, the entire length of that SMALL locomotive would have easily fit on any Low Boy Float trailer with ROOM TO SPARE.

I've see Caterpiller Earth Moving Equipment longer & wider than this locomotive being moved & only problem was "WIDTH"

D. Howard Bingham

--

On 10/12/2021 2:37 PM, Everett Lueck wrote:
Not a cutting torch.  A metal cutting disc, to get a smooth cut.  As I explained earlier,  the u joints were frozen and the rear truck had to be removed to transport the loco.

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 12:28:57 PM CDT, Mike Murray <mikemurray6044@...> wrote:

This shows them using a cutting torch on the drive shaft.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lViQ6N3u978

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:10 AM Tom Roise via groups.io <tomroise=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Amazing !!!!

Tom Roise

> On Oct 12, 2021, at 9:58 AM, texaszephyr <texaszephyr@...> wrote:
>
> There is a new video posted on YouTube by Neil Dahl that shows workers slicing through its drive shafts with cutting blades as they prepare to move the shay from Stephen F. Austin University to Michigan.
>
> Talking about adding insult to injury!!!
>
> TZ

John Salvini

Think that they cut the shaft to move it for loading. It looks as if the trees are obstructing a clean lift of the locomotive. I would think that they wanted to pick up the front end and walk it out of the tree line, then load it. Anyone know how they got it on the truck…?

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 7:12 PM, Everett Lueck <elueck@...> wrote:

You can move anything if you are willing to pay the price!

If you work on a limited budget, you do things the most cost effective way.

There is another locomotive move coming down next week and I have seen the original bids for both of these moves, and my guess is that this procedure saved a substantial amount of money that could be put toward the restoration, rather than the move.

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 07:37:16 PM CDT, D. Howard Bingham <ke5apj@...> wrote:

Why did the rear truck need removing, the entire length of that SMALL locomotive would have easily fit on any Low Boy Float trailer with ROOM TO SPARE.

I've see Caterpiller Earth Moving Equipment longer & wider than this locomotive being moved & only problem was "WIDTH"

D. Howard Bingham

--

On 10/12/2021 2:37 PM, Everett Lueck wrote:
Not a cutting torch.  A metal cutting disc, to get a smooth cut.  As I explained earlier,  the u joints were frozen and the rear truck had to be removed to transport the loco.

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 12:28:57 PM CDT, Mike Murray <mikemurray6044@...> wrote:

This shows them using a cutting torch on the drive shaft.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lViQ6N3u978

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:10 AM Tom Roise via groups.io <tomroise=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Amazing !!!!

Tom Roise

> On Oct 12, 2021, at 9:58 AM, texaszephyr <texaszephyr@...> wrote:
>
> There is a new video posted on YouTube by Neil Dahl that shows workers slicing through its drive shafts with cutting blades as they prepare to move the shay from Stephen F. Austin University to Michigan.
>
> Talking about adding insult to injury!!!
>
> TZ

Everett Lueck

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 11:31:45 PM CDT, John Salvini via groups.io <salvini.john@...> wrote:

Think that they cut the shaft to move it for loading. It looks as if the trees are obstructing a clean lift of the locomotive. I would think that they wanted to pick up the front end and walk it out of the tree line, then load it. Anyone know how they got it on the truck…?

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 7:12 PM, Everett Lueck <elueck@...> wrote:

You can move anything if you are willing to pay the price!

If you work on a limited budget, you do things the most cost effective way.

There is another locomotive move coming down next week and I have seen the original bids for both of these moves, and my guess is that this procedure saved a substantial amount of money that could be put toward the restoration, rather than the move.

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 07:37:16 PM CDT, D. Howard Bingham <ke5apj@...> wrote:

Why did the rear truck need removing, the entire length of that SMALL locomotive would have easily fit on any Low Boy Float trailer with ROOM TO SPARE.

I've see Caterpiller Earth Moving Equipment longer & wider than this locomotive being moved & only problem was "WIDTH"

D. Howard Bingham

--

On 10/12/2021 2:37 PM, Everett Lueck wrote:
Not a cutting torch.  A metal cutting disc, to get a smooth cut.  As I explained earlier,  the u joints were frozen and the rear truck had to be removed to transport the loco.

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 12:28:57 PM CDT, Mike Murray <mikemurray6044@...> wrote:

This shows them using a cutting torch on the drive shaft.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lViQ6N3u978

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:10 AM Tom Roise via groups.io <tomroise=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Amazing !!!!

Tom Roise

> On Oct 12, 2021, at 9:58 AM, texaszephyr <texaszephyr@...> wrote:
>
> There is a new video posted on YouTube by Neil Dahl that shows workers slicing through its drive shafts with cutting blades as they prepare to move the shay from Stephen F. Austin University to Michigan.
>
> Talking about adding insult to injury!!!
>
> TZ

John Salvini

That kind of puts my theory to rest, looks like they made the pick right where it was at. Thanks for the loading picture.