MP TEN-WHEELER - PARIS, ARKANSAS

Gerald Hook

Re the attached newspaper article in today’s Fort Smith Times-Record:

Is this the only MISSOURI PACIFIC steam locomotive left in captivity?

Gerald Hook – Russellville, AR

Tom Roise

Doubtful. Looks like a 2-8-0?

Tom Roise

On May 18, 2021, at 8:10 AM, Gerald Hook <gah333br@...> wrote:

Re the attached newspaper article in today’s Fort Smith Times-Record:

Is this the only MISSOURI PACIFIC steam locomotive left in captivity?

Gerald Hook – Russellville, AR

<Paris group wants to put new life into antique coal train.docx>

texaszephyr

Yes, the one in Paris was the only MP steamer that survives today.

It’s a shame that they didn’t donate one of their home built 4-8-4s to North Little Rock or Sedalia. Sedalia wanted on really bad for display at the Missouri State Fairgrounds but when the MP refused they approached the Frisco. That’s why there is a Frisco steamer there in spite of the Frisco never served Sedalia.

TZ

On May 18, 2021, at 8:10 AM, Gerald Hook <gah333br@...> wrote:

Re the attached newspaper article in today’s Fort Smith Times-Record:

Is this the only MISSOURI PACIFIC steam locomotive left in captivity?

Gerald Hook – Russellville, AR

<Paris group wants to put new life into antique coal train.docx>

Everett Lueck

Iron Mountain 4-6-0 # 625, which became MP 2707 survives at the National Museum of Transport outside St. Louis

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021, 09:45:13 AM CDT, texaszephyr <texaszephyr@...> wrote:

Yes, the one in Paris was the only MP steamer that survives today.

It’s a shame that they didn’t donate one of their home built 4-8-4s to North Little Rock or Sedalia. Sedalia wanted on really bad for display at the Missouri State Fairgrounds but when the MP refused they approached the Frisco. That’s why there is a Frisco steamer there in spite of the Frisco never served Sedalia.

TZ

On May 18, 2021, at 8:10 AM, Gerald Hook <gah333br@...> wrote:

Re the attached newspaper article in today’s Fort Smith Times-Record:

Is this the only MISSOURI PACIFIC steam locomotive left in captivity?

Gerald Hook – Russellville, AR

<Paris group wants to put new life into antique coal train.docx>

Jim Ogden

MoPac was in a prolonged receivership from 1933 to 1956 (to keep the Van Sweringen Group/Allegheny Corporation from bleeding the company dry) and the “trustee” did not approve the donation of large modern locomotives. This individual is like a bankruptcy judge and had the final say. The Iron Mountain 635/MoPac 2707 was already a museum piece when donated.

In 1956 they absorbed the IGN and Gulf Coast Lines and diluted Allegheny Corporation’s control greatly. Maybe after 1957 if they still had steam we might could have seen a donation. Allegheny was always looking for cash to raid.

Jim Ogden
Argyle, Texas

Gerald Hook

This certainly sounds like a reasonable explanation, for that time period.  But given my experiences with those _____ (fill in the blank) during my 36 year career in railroad marketing, they’ll forever be the EVIL EMPIRE to me.

Gerald Hook – Russellville, AR

MoPac was in a prolonged receivership from 1933 to 1956 (to keep the Van Sweringen Group/Allegheny Corporation from bleeding the company dry) and the “trustee” did not approve the donation of large modern locomotives.   This individual is like a bankruptcy judge and had the final say.  The Iron Mountain 635/MoPac 2707 was already a museum piece when donated.

In 1956 they absorbed the IGN and Gulf Coast Lines and diluted Allegheny Corporation’s control greatly.  Maybe after 1957 if they still had steam we might could have seen a donation.  Allegheny was always looking for cash to raid.

Jim Ogden

Argyle, Texas

Jim Ogden

This Alleghany Corporation corporation angle is entirely from H. Craig Miner’s research.  This is the professor who wrote the Rebirth of the Missouri Pacific and described the shenanigans that were going on.  The “Vans” were real estate speculators who got control of the C&O, NKP snd the MoP which they nearly destroyed to cover their losses.

[...]

Gerard Kelley

Howdyi
Allegheny corporation may still have had an interest h The Great Southwest RR and industrial park in Arlington Grand Prairie Texas . The Robert Young death made the 1950's tough for the corporation and PRR and NYC RR. Money was tight. They are mostly insurance now.

Kelley
Arlington Tx

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021, 05:07:13 PM CDT, Jim Ogden <sjogden@...> wrote:

MoPac was in a prolonged receivership from 1933 to 1956 (to keep the Van Sweringen Group/Allegheny Corporation from bleeding the company dry) and the “trustee” did not approve the donation of large modern locomotives.  This individual is like a bankruptcy judge and had the final say.  The Iron Mountain 635/MoPac 2707 was already a museum piece when donated.

In 1956 they absorbed the IGN and Gulf Coast Lines and diluted Allegheny Corporation’s control greatly.  Maybe after 1957 if they still had steam we might could have seen a donation.  Allegheny was always looking for cash to raid.

Jim Ogden
Argyle, Texas

Jim Ogden

Not surprising.  Texans stick together. I just looked up Robert R. Young and. Wikipedia — I knew he was a Texan but had no idea Sid Richardson and Clint Murchison got him the NYC job.  Railroading executives were sort of like Game of Thrones but they couldn’t exterminate their equivalent of Dragons quickly enough.

I understand the city of Dupo was offered an entire MoP spot class 2-8-0 circa 1956 but the town fathers only wanted the cylinders and smoke box.  I think it was 124.

Jim Ogden