Topics

New railcam in RS territory

Bill Wasinger

Just FYI, there's a new railcam online in Quanah, TX. Says it is hosted by the City of Quanah, but I don't know if that means it's sponsored. Therefore I'm not sure if it will stay free or go behind a paywall at some point. For now, it's free…

Link below

Bill in OKC

~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~! Oklahoma - Our tornadoes go to F6!

Tom Roise

Thanks Bill
I just visited the site. Asked two questions with no reply??

Could be interesting if they have any train frequency. Any idea how many pass in the daylight?
Mostly BNSF?

Tom Roise

On Oct 24, 2020, at 11:47 PM, Bill Wasinger via groups.io <bwasinger@...> wrote:

Just FYI, there's a new railcam online in Quanah, TX. Says it is hosted by the City of Quanah, but I don't know if that means it's sponsored. Therefore I'm not sure if it will stay free or go behind a paywall at some point. For now, it's free…

Link below

Bill in OKC

~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~! Oklahoma - Our tornadoes go to F6!

Dennis Hogan

Good to know about this one!
There are also Virtual Railfan cameras at Texarkana, Big Sandy, Tower 55 (Ft. Worth) and Belen--all in Railspot territory.

Until the SOUTHWEST CHIEF went tri-weekly I used to watch the railcam at La Plata MO in the evening about 7:30.

mardechris

I am working really hard to get Virtual Railfan cameras at Marshall.  Unfortunately, the museum can’t afford to host these so we need sponsors.

Marde

On Oct 25, 2020, at 8:50 AM, Dennis Hogan <denmeg_hogan@...> wrote:

Good to know about this one!
There are also Virtual Railfan cameras at Texarkana, Big Sandy, Tower 55 (Ft. Worth) and Belen--all in Railspot territory.

Until the SOUTHWEST CHIEF went tri-weekly I used to watch the railcam at La Plata MO in the evening about 7:30.

Skip Waters

What kind of costs are we talking about?

Skip Waters
Dallas, Texas

On Sunday, October 25, 2020, 11:37:46 AM CDT, mardechris via groups.io <mardechris@...> wrote:

I am working really hard to get Virtual Railfan cameras at Marshall.  Unfortunately, the museum can’t afford to host these so we need sponsors.

Marde

On Oct 25, 2020, at 8:50 AM, Dennis Hogan <denmeg_hogan@...> wrote:

Good to know about this one!
There are also Virtual Railfan cameras at Texarkana, Big Sandy, Tower 55 (Ft. Worth) and Belen--all in Railspot territory.

Until the SOUTHWEST CHIEF went tri-weekly I used to watch the railcam at La Plata MO in the evening about 7:30.

Bill Wasinger

According to the VR site, sponsoring an existing cam on their platform runs $3500 a year and sponsoring a new camera runs $5,000 a year.

That said, I saw the Dunsmuir, CA Depot is doing their own railcam stream, though I have no idea how much it costs to put your own stream on YouTube.

Another, more affordable option would be a Google Nest outdoor cam and purchase of a Nest Aware subscription (which is $10/month I think). One could then host that stream on their own site (though it would lack the viability of a YouTube stream).

On Sunday, October 25, 2020, 11:51:50 AM CDT, Skip Waters <wgcrush@...> wrote:

What kind of costs are we talking about?

Skip Waters
Dallas, Texas

On Sunday, October 25, 2020, 11:37:46 AM CDT, mardechris via groups.io <mardechris@...> wrote:

I am working really hard to get Virtual Railfan cameras at Marshall.  Unfortunately, the museum can’t afford to host these so we need sponsors.

Marde

On Oct 25, 2020, at 8:50 AM, Dennis Hogan <denmeg_hogan@...> wrote:

Good to know about this one!
There are also Virtual Railfan cameras at Texarkana, Big Sandy, Tower 55 (Ft. Worth) and Belen--all in Railspot territory.

Until the SOUTHWEST CHIEF went tri-weekly I used to watch the railcam at La Plata MO in the evening about 7:30.

mardechris

$4,000 to $5,000 are their estimates for installation.  We have discussed a couple of locations on the Depot and near the Ginocchio for cameras.  It is $3,000 a year to keep the cameras free after the first year.  They will still be available to the paying VR customers if you choose not to pay that cost.

I feel this would be a huge benefit to the Marshall Depot Museum and the local area.  The data for the first five weeks of cameras at Big Sandy is impressive.
-Total Views: 637,800
-Total Hours Watched: 88,000 (10 years!) 100+ Viewers at any given moment.
Plus, I have seen comments from many people who have gone to visit Big Sandy who would have not visited without the Virtual Railfan cameras and website bringing attention to them.

Marde

On Oct 25, 2020, at 12:36 PM, bwasinger@... wrote:

[...]

Never knew big sandy had a camera ??

I used to railfan there every week ten years ago when I covered East texas

Tom Roise

On Oct 25, 2020, at 3:40 PM, mardechris via groups.io <mardechris@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim King

One of the great things about Big Sandy is the nature of the junction provides a variety of trains and movements, including the use of connecting tracks. You also get to see trains at track speed, and there is sufficient traffic to maintain interest, including the occasional Amtrak. To my thinking, these factors are the key components of a good location for a VR camera. So…based on track speeds, train variety, frequency, connecting movements and Amtrak, what other sites in RS territory would offer this combination? I’ll offer….

Milano – a junction of two different railroads with trains moving at speed with adequate frequency; but no connecting tracks or Amtrak

Rosenberg – three different railroads, Amtrak, frequency; not sure about connecting tracks or track speeds

How ‘bout a camera on the Pavilion at Flatonia?

Other suggestions? If we found the right location, we might have enough Railspotters to raise the funds to get it going.

--jk

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

You left out tower 55. I believe there may be one there, but it is $ wall protected??

Tom Roise

[...]

<F6D40163D6614943A3C8302C351A9172.png>

Jim King

I’ve seen the camera at T55. Some may love it but it doesn’t do much for me. Too much distraction with all the freeway traffic, no track speed, and I don’t like the camera placement. At Big Sandy, I like the fact that you can listen for the distant horns and look for the headlights of approaching trains. At Tower 55, not so much…

[...]

Valid points. I’m still waiting for my first train in Big Sandy.

Tom Roise

[...]

<91E28E667338464AB69103ACA50609DE.png>

Jim King

I’m more partial to rural locations with trains moving at speed. Saginaw might be pretty good. I don’t know enough about the traffic at Temple.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Good Mornin Guy’s! How about Saginaw and Temple?

Dan

[...]

I’m partial to junctions with multiple roads and preferably a short line for variety. I’m very bored with the same ol GE MODEL or SD model flying by.

That leaves maybe Texarkana and dallas junction. Reunion tower would be nice, but yes a lot  of auto noise.

A fun one for variety sake would be Pittsburg. But, they need to face the junction to include the feedmill. For switching interest. KCS and UP. But boring motors.

I used to watch a lot in saginaw as well. But only BNSF. Average train volume. Declining coal. Seasonal grain and a lot of cofc/tofc.

I was in temple last two weeks. BNSF only again. Average train volume. A lot of overhead grain heading to export.

Tom Roise

[...]

<819F122AF6314193AC361E70105C2124.png>

Tom Roise

Just went to Texarkana. But it is not live?

Tom Roise

On Oct 25, 2020, at 8:50 AM, Dennis Hogan <denmeg_hogan@...> wrote:

Good to know about this one!
There are also Virtual Railfan cameras at Texarkana, Big Sandy, Tower 55 (Ft. Worth) and Belen--all in Railspot territory.

Until the SOUTHWEST CHIEF went tri-weekly I used to watch the railcam at La Plata MO in the evening about 7:30.

Skip Waters

Saginaw has one... or HAD one... actually, I don't know the status of it since the Chamber moved out of the depot and Covid set in.  But, there was a cam at Saginaw a year ago for sure.

Skip Waters
Dallas, Texas

On Monday, October 26, 2020, 09:55:39 AM CDT, Jim King <jgking@...> wrote:

[...]

You now have a new job!!!!

Save that cam!!!

Tom Roise

On Oct 26, 2020, at 1:01 PM, Skip Waters <wgcrush@...> wrote:

[...]

Ron Roman

Sounds like Tom Roise is volunteering his wallet for Web Cams!!!!
Go Tom Go, You The Mannnnnn, Ooooorahhhhh!!!!! 😃

(Back in the days our old City Emerg Mangr used to say…. Hi!, I’m for the Govrm’t, I’m here to help, got any funding for new radios???)

Skip, that looked like a bad camera angle on yaaaaa…. need to reposition it next year. 😲

As for RS Area WX from Altus to OKC and other  areas of NWS OUN in Norman…
https://www.weather.gov/oun/
Winter and Ice Storm Warning till 28 Oct till 1pm.
1st ever in the history of being issued this early from OUN… and the wild part is that the leaves are still on most trees, Little Ice + Leaves + Downed Trees and Branches can Equal big troubles in places.
Back in the Nor’East where I’m from, big trees fell across the RR ROW and show stopper till they was cut and removed, track inspected (most of the time the rails stood up to big wooden “Barked Rolling Pins” that fell) and got to the OK to pass.

Should be interesting till Wed… Gennie is ready if we lose Power and I’ll see Internet till we get it back, or I end up at the EOC here working the “Ut-Oh” of Power Loss.

Time for another Cup of Joe after I just had some Beans! 😊

You’ll take care, I’m home Safe (and warm),

Ron R AF5AS
Altus, OK

Sent from Windows Mail

--