Topics

Texas City Shay

Dennis Hogan

Edited

There are reports (in Trainorders) that the Shay locomotive on loan to Texas City by the Galveston
Railroad Museum is on its way to the Three Rivers Rambler operation in Knoxville TN.
[ Three Rivers Rambler = home of the true Nash-ville sound.]
https://www.threeriversrambler.com/
Any corrections to that report? (photo below)

https://www.galvestonrrmuseum.org/fullscreen-page/comp-jiw1h9p7/34d85867-a93b-47f9-9138-a14fca3b14b4/2/%3Fi%3D2%26p%3Dh4cer%26s%3Dstyle-jivyb9rh

Don Harper

That is correct Dennis.  The Shay was sold to the Knoxville outfit.  They will restore it and run it.  It is much closer to home than it was in Galveston.

The loan to Texas City was a fiasco.  The Shay and a caboose were loaned in exchange for boiler work being done on the 555 Consolidation.  The company that said they would do the boiler work reneged, and the Museum board didn’t do anything about the contract being broken.  I initiated the effort to get the Shay and caboose returned to the Museum after it has been in Texas City for 25 or so years.

Don Harper

On Oct 7, 2020, at 8:36 AM, Dennis Hogan <denmeg_hogan@...> wrote:

There are reports that the Shay locomotive on loan to Texas City by the Galveston
Railroad Museum is on its way to the Three Ramblers operation in Knoxville TN.

Any corrections to that report?

https://www.galvestonrrmuseum.org/fullscreen-page/comp-jiw1h9p7/34d85867-a93b-47f9-9138-a14fca3b14b4/2/%3Fi%3D2%26p%3Dh4cer%26s%3Dstyle-jivyb9rh

Everett Lueck

Home for the 112 was originally Mansfield, LA and the engine worked in both Louisiana and Texas (Nacogdoches) for Frost Lumber before going to Tennessee.    I know that their are reports that the Rambler will restore the locomotive to service, but I don't see how it fits their passenger operation with its extremely slow speed.  At any rate it will get a good home, and be with 3 other steam engines and people who know how to care for steam engines.

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 08:00:25 AM CDT, Don Harper <luciferfaxoni@...> wrote:

That is correct Dennis.  The Shay was sold to the Knoxville outfit.  They will restore it and run it.  It is much closer to home than it was in Galveston.

The loan to Texas City was a fiasco.  The Shay and a caboose were loaned in exchange for boiler work being done on the 555 Consolidation.  The company that said they would do the boiler work reneged, and the Museum board didn’t do anything about the contract being broken.  I initiated the effort to get the Shay and caboose returned to the Museum after it has been in Texas City for 25 or so years.

Don Harper

There are reports that the Shay locomotive on loan to Texas City by the Galveston

Dennis Hogan

Was it ever in the possession of the OP&E in Oregon?

Sent: Wednesday, October 7, 2020 10:19 AM
To: Dennis Hogan <denmeg_hogan@...>; Don Harper <luciferfaxoni@...>
Cc: Railspot <rs-talon@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Railspot] Texas City Shay

Home for the 112 was originally Mansfield, LA and the engine worked in both Louisiana and Texas (Nacogdoches) for Frost Lumber before going to Tennessee.    I know that their are reports that the Rambler will restore the locomotive to service, but I don't see how it fits their passenger operation with its extremely slow speed.  At any rate it will get a good home, and be with 3 other steam engines and people who know how to care for steam engines.

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 08:00:25 AM CDT, Don Harper <luciferfaxoni@...> wrote:

Don Harper

Everett Lueck

I think that it was, and was used as a display in Oregon, but never run.

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 10:46:15 AM CDT, Dennis Hogan <denmeg_hogan@...> wrote:

Was it ever in the possession of the OP&E in Oregon?

Sent: Wednesday, October 7, 2020 10:19 AM
To: Dennis Hogan <denmeg_hogan@...>; Don Harper <luciferfaxoni@...>
Cc: Railspot <rs-talon@groups.io>

Don Harper

Christopher Zurek

Whatever happened to the caboose?

Chris Z.

On 10/7/2020 08:00, Don Harper wrote:

Don Harper

Kenneth Cotton

As far as I know the caboose is back at the museum.

Ken C.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 4:03 PM
To: RS-TALON@groups.io

Chris Z.

Don Harper

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Don Harper

It is.

On Oct 21, 2020, at 4:28 PM, Kenneth Cotton <kbcotton@...> wrote:

As far as I know the caboose is back at the museum.

Ken C.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 4:03 PM
To: RS-TALON@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Railspot] Texas City Shay

Chris Z.

Don Harper

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. 
www.avast.com

<DAE8CDE238164C7384E26C9C7001705D.png>

eda77092

When the caboose was still in Texas City they attached wood panel siding to the exterior steel sides thus covering all the windows.I suppose they did that to cut down on vandalism.The plybead paneling gives the appearance of a wood caboose but with no windows.The doors have been welded shut.Now that it is back at Galveston RR. Museum I hope they will remove the wood siding to display it as originally built.I believe it is a SP or TNO model C40-3 caboose.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10