Topics

Brady Junction

Jim King

An 1898 edition of Railway Age gives “Brady Junction” as the endpoint of the Galveston, La Porte and Houston RR. Does anyone have any “objective evidence” of precisely where Brady Junction was located? A map or a pre-1910 timetable (likely SP) would be ideal. The only location with “Brady” in the name that shows up in the USGS Domestic Names database is nearby Brady Island, but that’s not Brady Junction.

--jk

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Dennis Hogan

A clue here in this TSHA article: 1.5 miles from Harrisburg
https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqg09

D. Howard Bingham

Wondering if this also relates to "Brady Island" which is adjacent to where a Bayou empties into

Houston Ship Channel near where Harrisburg Blvd. turns into Broadway in the Pecan Park, neighborhood.?

Howard Bingham  :-)

--

On 8/10/2020 8:01 AM, Dennis Hogan wrote:
A clue here in this TSHA article: 1.5 miles from Harrisburg
https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqg09
--
D. Howard Bingham   *Email: ke5apj@...
2722 Wisdom Drive   *Email: BinghamDavidH@...

Jim King

I’m sure Brady Island relates to Brady in some way, and they were likely in the same vicinity. Brady Island was part of John T. Brady’s land, but it wasn’t an island originally. It did not become an island until the ship channel built a cut and created the island. Why they made the cut…I don’t know, but I’d like to.

So a related question is…does “Brady” (as listed in RCT construction records) equate to “Brady Junction” (as mentioned in Railway Age), or are they two different locations? (and where!?) My assumption is that both Brady and Brady Junction were south of Brays Bayou, as is Brady Island.

I’m working on a major update to the Tower 102 page. The future I-GN line that crossed there was built by the Houston Belt & Magnolia Park (HB&MP) for which John T. Brady was the principal investor. S G Reed describes its 1890 construction in some detail. What I’m really trying to determine is how and when the (future) SP line that crossed at T102 was built. There were several receiverships and ownership changes and I’m hoping to drill down a bit deeper and determine precisely when (and who) built that line, and in what stages. Among the major questions…who built the bridge over Brays Bayou 800 ft. downstream from the GH&H bridge? And when? There’s an RCT record that says the HB&MP built 4.07 miles between Houston and Brady in 1895, and that’s the most likely candidate. But the HB&MP was in receivership at the time. And…where exactly did those 4.07 miles go (and how and where did they tie into the existing HB&MP tracks?) If we knew for certain where this 4.07 miles was located, we could figure out how the GL&H used the HB&MP tracks “as an entrance into Houston” in 1895.