Re: [RS] High Winds Derail Freight Train

Bill Wasinger

My question here is, Where was the contract weather
service used by BNSF that should have warned the NOC
about this? Based on the storm reports I've seen, the
intensity of the winds was evident back to the west
and northwest. And I've always operated on the belief
that 50-60 mph crosswinds would get a train stopped or
slowed. Perhaps Wes or Pat can chip in on the wind
threshold for putting up the red flag on trains. I'm
not trying to point fingers but, as I make part of my
living on the weather, I'm always curious when my
interests interact!

WSW
--- Mike Murray <mdmurray@flash.net> wrote:
High Winds Derail Freight Train
Reporter: Tabitha Goodwin
Updated: Feb 09, 2001 at 12:45PM

Click for Printer-Friendly Version
E-mail this to a Friend

GAINESVILLE, Texas - Straight-line winds caused
spectacular damage to a North Texas stretch of one
of the nation's largest rail lines early Friday.
The incident happened south of Gainesville, just
after 2 a.m. when 29 rail cars were toppled like
toys by the high winds.

Wind speeds were estimated to be nearly 100 miles
per hour along the Burlington Northern Santa Fe
line.

The train was heading from Fort Worth to Kansas
City. It had stopped just south of Gainesville for a
crew change when strong winds blew 29 of the 122
cars off the track.

The cars were carrying appliances -- no hazardous
cargo. No one was hurt.

Railroad spokesperon Jerry Jenkins explained the
RoadRailer cars involved in the derailment can also
be used on highways, so they are lighter than
traditional box cars. That may have made them more
susceptible to the winds.

Work was underway Friday to clear the derailed cars
and repair the damaged rail line.

Copyright: 2001 by WFAA-TV Co. All Rights Reserved.

Keep it on track!
Mike Murray
mdmurray@flash.net
=I=I=I=I=I=I=I=I=I=I=I=I=